Stoller options in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to southern Spain and London in May. We will be bringing our baby and toddler and are trying to decide what stroller to bring. We would like to bring our MacLaren double-wide stroller so both our kids can ride but we don't know how practical this is in London. We like having the big basket underneath so we can throw all our stuff in it, but if we have to take it out and fold the stroller up frequently it would get old really quick. Will it be hard to get around with this - particularly on and off of the underground? Our other option is to bring 2 small strollers. Anyone been to London with stollers lately?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM

two smaller ones would be a much better option. The double wide is just too...well, wide for London streets and pavements.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - that helps. I think we will do that.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM

The tube is one of the most pram-unfriendly objects on this planet.

There's pretty well no tube journey in central London that prams can do comfortably: flights of stairs pop up at the most extraordinary times, and that gap they're always telling you to mind isn't one I'd like to try to get a pram, and two kids' paraphernalia, across.

The single-decker bendybuses, OTOH, might be easier. Well worth learning how to get around on them. Cheaper (though slowe) too.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM

I'd suggest a stroller and a backpack -- especially if the backpack would work for both children. It can be helpful for one parent to have free hands.

We loved our Maclaren Triumph (a single stroller) because it is strong but lightweight and very easy to maneuver and collapse. It's worth every penny.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM

I've seen a good number of strollers/prams on trains and the tube, and people carrying them/dragging them up and down stairs. Doesn't look fun, but doable, especially with enough people to carry the strollers up and down (in a pinch, you might get a nice person volunteer to help). The 2 small ones would definitely be preferable; a double-wide would just be unwieldy.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. We will definitely leave the double wide at home. We didn't have kids the last time we were in London, so we didn't really notice these sorts of things! I like the bus idea for transportation - I'm sure our daughter would love that. We'll have the sling for the baby as well, so that should help facilitate easy movement. I'm new to these message boards and am now a big fan. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM

ou are right to think twice about taking a large stroller to London. And if you did, it should probably be a two-in-line type rather than a double-wide. I'd consider collapsible "umbrella" strollers--either two of them or one, plus a child-carrier/backpack. This would also be easier on your airplane trips, trains, rental cars, or however you are getting from place-to-place on this expedition, er, vacation.

FYI....some newer London taxis are equipped with a built-in child seat (but only one per cab). This may be a consideration when/if you are using taxis.

Dave
[email protected]