Stolen car in Sicily

Search

Stolen car in Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stolen car in Sicily

We just got back from a 10-day trip to Sicliy. The trip was wonderful, except for one thing - on our next to the last day, while we were having dinner at a restaurant in the countryside between Catania and Siricusa, our car was stolen from the parking lot. We think that someone must have taken the keys from the pocket of our friend's jacket (he had it draped over the back of his chair). Certainly a lesson in being aware of your surroundings and the people around you. Anyway, upon renting the car in Palermo, we dedided to take the additional maximum insurance (insurance is automatically added to any rental agreement in Italy). However, we found that when we went to the Catania airport rental counter with the police report, that if you have a car stolen and the keys are also stolen, you are responsible for the cost of the car (they said the Ford Focus was worth 13,000 Euros.) The American Express Gold card people said that they don't cover problems like this in Italy. We are in shock - is the rate of theft so rampant there that everyone takes a hands off attitude?! We refused to have them add the 13,000 to our friends card at the airport, but are concerned that it will become a real problem. Has anyone else experienced a situation like this, and how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM

I don't know the answers, but how did you leave the matter of the 13,000e? Did they put it on your card, or did they agree not to charge anyone (yet)?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Wow. I'd understand if you left the keys in the car, but not having the keys stolen from somewhere else.

This is a long shot, but usually your homeowner's insurance covers theft, including while traveling. If the stealing of the keys is regarded as a 13,000 euro loss, perhaps you are covered for that theft by your homeowners? Just thinking out loud here, as I have no personal experience with that.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM

ttt
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM

This isn't uncommon. I had my car stolen from in front of my house in NYC and i had to prove to the insurance company that I still had the keys (by sending them to the company) before they would pay for the car.

If you don;t have the keys it is presumed you left them in the car - which would be negligence - and many policies won;t pay.

A very good lesson not to leave anything valuable where people can get at it (he did the equivalent of a woman hanging her purse on the chair back in a public place - asking for it to be stolen).
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM

I would close that credit card immediately. Doesn't mean that they won't come after you for it, but it makes it more difficult.

Is there any language in the insurance to that effect ? If in Italian, might be worth paying a translator to see if so...
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM

<i>We think that someone must have taken the keys from the pocket of our friend's jacket</i>

That does not express certainty. Perhaps the keys were left in the car, although less likely since the electronic lock is usually attached to the keys.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune and hope it does not spoil your enthusiasm for travel. If you investigate, I think you will learn that some insurance companies demand to see the car keys to prove they were not left in the car. As for canceling the card, it is my understanding they can still hit the credit card with the charge as it was open when you incurred the bill. If not resolved; they might send you to a collections agency, and yes they can come after you all the way from Italy. Good luck with resolving this issue.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM

And as I think of it, the electronic lock system is a way of finding an unknown car.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM

I recently requested printed provisions for auto rental coverage under a Platinum Amex card and Italy was excluded. Other countries that are excluded include Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Israel and Jamaica.

And for coverage to be apply, you must be the primary renter.

Also check under you homeowners umbrella coverage.