Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stockholm hotel: Norrmalm, Ostermalm, or Sodermalm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites -

We are planning a post-cruise 4-night stay in Stockholm in July, and struggling to select a hotel. We want to see the typical tourist attractions, but be close to a variety of restaurants for breakfast and dinner. We prefer to walk and take public transportation everywhere.

We found 4 well-reviewed hotels with comparable-sized rooms (~25 sq meters) at comparable, reasonable prices (~$175), but there all in different neighborhoods. Where do you think is the best place to stay? Here's what we're debating:

Miss Clara, in Norrmalm
Radisson Blu Waterfront, Norrmalm
Mornington Stockholm City, Ostermalm
Rival Hotel, Sodermalm

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

"they're", not "there"! Ugh, no edit function!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:34 AM

I quite like the vibe of Södermalm and usually stay over there since we have family and friends in that neighborhood. There are a couple of metros in close proximity to the Rival hotel and it's a decent walk to Gamla Stan but you would have to walk or do public transport to see the usual sights. The Rival is a nice hotel but our shower had a musty odor the one time we stayed there. We were in Stockholm last Friday and saw a couple of famous Swedes at the restaurant we were lunching at. There are many artists and actors that live on Södermalm.

You can't go wrong with the location of the Radisson Blu as it sits on the waterfront but that is more of a city big buildings feel there.

Östermalm is lovely and the Mornington has gotten good reviews if I recall. I have never personally stayed over there.