Stockholm 4 days in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Stockholm for 4 or 5 days at the very end of March for a business trip. I should have 2 or 3 days on my own to explore. I am not sure where I will be staying yet, but at this point I am really just looking for sight seeing/activity suggetions. Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Stockholm is amazing and you're going to love it. Take a walk in the old town by the harbor. and If you can afford it, the dinner buffet at the Grand hotel is so good!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM

One of the most interesting sights is the Vasa Museum. The tour of the Town Hall (site of the NObel awards) is very interesting. Ridderholm church is where all the royalty are buried.. including Count Bernadotte (and wife, Desiree) founder of the current clan.
Roaming Gamla Stan is great fun (tho don't know about the weather in March)If there's a chance to partake of the smorgasboard at the Operakallen (sp?) do do it! And if you like palaces, the one in Stockholm has its share of gilt
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I found out we are staying at the Stockholm Sheraton, just minutes from the main train station in city center. I will have a Wednesday free and a Saturday free. Any ideas for entertainment, shopping, must sees?
Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

I liked the cool aluminum parka I got to wear at the Ice Bar.

http://www.nordichotels.se/doc.open....amp;StructID=2

I wanted to see the popular museum to see what was devoted to ABBA. But due to a holiday it was closed the 4 days I was there.

http://stockholm.music.museum

I can also recommend a great opthamologist in case you get conjunctivitis like my friend did.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM

I reiterate.... try to do the Vasa Museum.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:20 PM

I guess I should have mentioned it too but Grandma is absolutely correct.

The Vasa is stunning. A ship that was over-engineered and sunk on it's maiden voyage due to being top heavy. The space it's displayed in is gorgeously appropriate. The ship itself makes you think of something out of "Pirates of the Caribbean."
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM

I just have a comment on your hotel where I have stayed several times. I hope you are lucky enough to get a sea (lake) view. The Sheraton is a very nice, American-type hotel. The breakfasts are bountiful, and we enjoyed the bar in the evenings.
You are close to Gamla Stan (the Old Town), and I would spend a lot of time there. I found the Nobel Museum in the square on Gamla Stan very interesting. If you are interested in Nordic history, the Nordiska Museum is good. Others have given you good sightseeing tips. Boots
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM

I hope it's ok for me to jump in to this posting. We'll be in Stockholm post-cruise in July and are trying to decide where to stay. I'd hoped for the Grand Hotel, but can't find rates under $500-- too expensive for us. I've read that the Hilton Slussen is a quiet place-- very important to us-- but I can't get a good handle on exactly where it is in relation to sites we'll want to see. Is it convenient walking distance? Is it bizarre to be above the highway? Might there be a better choice for us? Would like to spend not more than $300 per night for excellent, quiet room, good space, good view, etc. Possible? Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:27 AM
hsv

poss,

I haven't been to Stockholm, but am planning to go. I seem to recall having read that rooms at the Nordic Light and Nordic Sea Hotels are somewhat soundproofed (might have been on expedia's descriptions, check for those, if you please). On the other hand these hotels are located right by Central Station, most certainly don't provide much of a view and are likely to be in a busy urban environment with respective sounds, so might not work for you.
Apart from that, exactly how many times on how many threads here have you asked that question? I seem to remember that you already have been given a heap of advice on other threads...no offense meant, just curious what's not to your liking!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Vasa Museum, definitely. Palace, Gamla Stan, etc. nice too. This is a big city so lots to see. Might recommend getting out to Uppsala to the north with a stop off at old Sigtuna which was the Viking capital.

Shopping might include artistic glassware/crystalware at Kosta Boda.
Bill in Missouri
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM

For Poss
The Hilton Slussen is on Södermalm, south of Gamla Stan, and not within close walking distance to the sites mentioned. Stockholm has good city bus and subway (Tunnelbana) service. Boots
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I was just surfing through and realised there are not too many replies from Swedes, so I thought I might offer advice from this perspective. There are so many things to do in this city! It all depends on what you prefer doing, of course. There is of course the walk around Old Town, but if you like walking there are other places to go - along the shores of Södermalm (all the way around is about 10 km though). The best views of the city are found at Fjällgatan, overlooking the city center and Djurgården, or (if you don't mind the traffic) from a bridge called Västerbron! By the way, taking the bus is generally the best way to see the city. Museums: if you want to see more than old boats (The Vasa), there is also the museum of modern art (Moderna muséet) or perhaps if you are interested in history perhaps the Stockholm City Museum or the Mediaval Museum. Shopping: also depending on what you want to shop - but you'll find a lot of shops at Drottninggatan (near the central station), at Åhlens, Debenhams or PUB (three large deparmentstores). More expensive clothes and accessories can be found at NK (Nordiska kompaniet at Hamngatan) or in shops along Biblioteksgatan (walking distance from the central station or subway Östermalmstorg). The nightlife (pubs and restaurants) is more bohemian in the part of Stockholm called Södermalm, and more posh around a place called Stureplan (subway: Östermalmstorg).

Well, that's a start, I think! If you are more specific, I might be able to give you even better advice! Hope you'll enjoy your stay!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Oh, and by the way. Slussen (and the Hilton) is absolutely on walking distance to Old Town - it's right there! It has a better view than the hotels by the Central station and offers many communications (busses, subway). Walking through Old Town will take you through to the even more central parts of the city. And from there you can take bus 47 to the Vasa Museum.

Södermalm is also a better choice if you prefer a less touristy atmosphere. There are less expensive and more cosy restaurants, pubs and small shops there than in the area around the central station. But I suppose it's a matter of preference

Hope that helps you somewhat!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Thank you very much for responding about Slussen. Definitely a help!