stockholm worth it!

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stockholm worth it!

we will be goimg to germany and can get a cheap ryan air flight to stockholm. is it worth spending 2 days there. we are going out of our way but do have free hotel radiison in north stockholm 4 miles from city centre
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM

With all the freebies I would say it is definitely worth it. What time of the year will you be there? You can definitely find lots to occupy two days in Stockholm.. and if you're there during the summer there are many trips by boat to interesting sites.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Check a Stockholm subway map. If you're near a subway station it will be easy to get around greater Stockholm. If you like cities on water, Stockholm is a beauty. I've been there six times in the last decade, and I always find something new as well as just getting energized for whatever traveling I'll be doing in Europe (often spend a few days there at the end or beginning of a trip). An added bonus is that Swedish cuisine, which used to be rather ordinary, has undergone a renaissance in the last five or six years, so you don't just look for a good breakfast at your hotel (those have always been easy to find) and cross your fingers in hope for the rest of the day. Wandering through the Old Town (Gamla Stan) is fun but crowded, Milles Garden (a sculpture garden outside the town center) is a relaxing place for part of a day; the Vasa Museum should not be missed, and getting out on the water to see the city is essential. Enjoy!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Also you can go to Skansen. It's a park and they have houses set up like they were hundreds of years ago and various artesans..glass blowers etc. I didn't get there on my trip this last winter..20 degree highs for the day, it was just too cold. My neice went several years ago and said it was a neat place to visit. Yes, the Vasa Museum is wonderful. The Vasa is the only 17th century ship preserved today. The Grand Hotel has a wonderful "borgesmorg" if you think yo might like something like that. So, I'd say a big yes. If you have the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Stockholm, grab it. Oh yes....try the reindeer if you eat meat.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

ttt
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:10 AM

It's a beautiful city with lot's to see, but it's also a very expensive city. With that said, since you do have a free place to stay, it would be worth the venture.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM

returned a few weeks ago and loved Stockholm, would go back in a heart beat - don't know why this city doesn't seem to get the attention other destinations do, it's a gem - Just posted my trip report - if you want to scan if for our favorite things the link is http://tinyurl.com/ptpvx