Stirling/Bridge of Allan Scotland...B&B's...can't decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Sept. we'll be in England for my niece's wedding and after we'll head to Edinburgh for a few days and then to see Stirling Castle. I have a few B&B's in mind (for Stirling/Bridge of Allan area) and was wondering if you have an thoughts on them.

1) the Old Tram House (Stirling)
2) Cressington (Stirling)
3) Neidpath (Stirling)
4) Argyle House (Stirling)
5) Castlecroft (Stirling)
6) Anna Rose Cottage (Bridge of Allan)
7) Kilronan House (Stirling)

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Shadow
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't look them all up - but some may be mis-identified. For instance Kilronan House in in B of A.

I have never stayed in any of your list - so can't help you w/ that. But I do have a question. Is your main/only purpose to see Stirling Castle? If so I wouldn't stay in either place, but do it as a day trip from Edinburgh - it is a very quick trip by car or by train.

On the other hand, i you want to see Stirling Castle plus tour around the area for Doune, Inchmahome, the Trossachs, Wallace Monument, etc -- then I personally STILL wouldn't stay in either location. I'd stay in/near a village somewhere maybe west of Stirling. There are lots of things w/i short drives of each other and you aren't limited to Stirling.

But if I had to choose between Stirling and Bridge of Allan - I'd probably choose B of A.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM

A few years ago we spent several days here http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/link.asp?fid=598932
It was a nice place, friendly proprietors, and ideally located to tour the Stirling area, only a few miles from town.

It would all depend if you have a car availlable to you. Some of the B&Bs in towns do not have much in the way of parking facilities, so I tend to choose places out in the country side with lovely views, but close enough to explore the area.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM

My family and I stayed at Kilronan House a couple of years ago and we loved it. The house is wonderful and the owners were even better. You can see the Wallace Monument from the house. However, it is in B of A.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM

Bridge of Allan is predominantly a long thin residential area. Stirling is a busy thriving centre. I personally would prefer to stay in Bridge of Allan than Stirling, but it's a matter of personal taste.

I don't know any of the B&Bs. The guy from Kilronan posted here a few times. It might be worth tracking those posts down.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! OK, sometimes you get your "decision" by what is available! Ha! We really want to stay in Stirling or Bridge of Allan and so far we have heard back from 3 of the B&B's on our list (with Kilronan being booked)..so its looking like either Castlecroft (at the foot of Stirling castle) or No. 10 near town...we are leaning on Castlecroft.
We will definately be coming back (we go to Ireland twice a year and we need to look at it like its not a big deal to get over to Scotland!!) so next time we'll stay another place for a change of pace.

We live in the middle of the desert with no "city" and I am "starved" for "city"...strange as that may seem to people..but I love cities!! And, we'll see lots of scenery on our drive from Derbyshire (England)to Stirling and Edin. Plus, Ireland too.

Thanks again,
Shadow