1st Trip to Scotland

Search

1st Trip to Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Trip to Scotland

Hello everyone. This is my 1st post. I am wanting to travel to Scotland; especially Aberdeenshire, as that's where my heritage is from. I have felt it "pulling" me the last year or so. I will have a month of my choosing off of work (though I don't think I can afford to spend more than 3 weeks travelling), travelling solo and have never been out of the US by myself.

I'm thinking I don't want to do one of the large group tours because I don't want to be rushed about and from my research, none of them go close to my "family castle", Skene House, which I'm told is still standing in Aberdeenshire and that is something I would really want to see. I believe it is privately owned so I don't even know if I CAN see it!

I'm just not quite sure where to even start with this trip. Since I'll be a solo traveler, I thought staying at a B&B would be a great way to take my time and see what's around Aberdeenshire and a few other towns. I don't want to get a car so my travelling is limited to foot or taxi. I really just want to immerse myself in Scotland. I would love to see other castles as well and I'm not a golfer at all! Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you all!
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Skene House / Lyne of Skene are just west of Aberdeen but in a pretty rural location. It is quite close to Castle Fraser. The nearest village w/ bus service is Dunecht. You could walk from there.

>> I would love to see other castles as well <<

That is smack dab in the center of the 'Castle Trail'. There are castles all over the country -- but that area of Aberdeenshire is marketed as the Castle Trail because there are just scads. Plus places like Dunnottar and Crathes which are nearby but not <i>technically</i> on the castle trail.

If I was you I'd probably book for say a week IN Aberdeen. That will give you access to both more local buses -- but a large Tourist information office that can recommend local drivers.

I'd also stay maybe 4 days or so IN Edinburgh. Great city. Then I'd seriously consider one of the longer Rabbies tours.

Like one of these: https://www.rabbies.com/en/tour-scot...from-edinburgh

or https://www.rabbies.com/en/tour-scot...nds-4-day-tour

Rabbies is a terrific firm that does small group tours -- 16 or fewer passengers. Very budget conscious because you get to select the grade of accommodations in each stop.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM

If you're going to use a single base, why not stay here:-

http://www.cottages.com/cottages/ske...-cottage-29020 ?

Mind you, this is not really a location for someone without a car.

A bit of assiduous googling leads me to the conclusion the house is currently owned by Nick and Fiona Rennie. There is a Skene Heritage Society run by a guy called Jim Fiddes, whose contact details are online.

Castles. Well, Aberdeenshire is Castle Country.

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do...-castle-trail/

We have more castles than you can shake a stick at. but, they are not always easily accessed without a car.

Our local tourist board have a lot of stuff on their website, but before I can advise on much more, I'd need some more input from you, I think.

http://www.visitabdn.com/

Without meaning to boast, I know the place like the back of my hand, so point me in the direction you want to go, and I'll try to help.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 11:37 AM

Sheila will be a great resource -- she lives right there.

The main reason I suggested staying IN Aberdeen was to give you easier access to transport -- both public and driver/guides.

But what I'd really REALLY recommend is you renting a car. Driving in rural areas isn't at all difficult. Then you could stay AT Skene House (talk about bucket list ) and easily tour around the area. W/ a combination of Edinburgh (car-less) and a Rabbies tour you'd only need a car for 6 or 7 days.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

This is FANTASTIC! You both are so helpful. Sheila, my main reason to come over is to see the Skene House, and if I can stay in it, that's just a dream come true! Sheila, what other information would you need from me?

Janisj, I like the idea of going to Edinburgh as well. I've not checked out the Rabbies tours yet. It's on my list to look at.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Mid to late April is when I was thinking.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Trains and buses are great in Scotland - and there are some super scenic train lines - like:

Inverness to Kyle of Lochlash (bus from there to Isle of Skye)

and from Maillag to Edinburgh-the fabled West Highlands Line (of Harry Potter fame) - if going to Skye take a bus to the ferry to Maillag - making a nice loop.

For lots on Swiss trains check- https://www.scotrail.co.uk/ and www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I believe there is some kind of Freedom of Scotland pass that includes some key boats and trains and buses- check the ScotRail site about that.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

So I've been doing some research and would love to know your thoughts. I would leave the US on Monday, April 24, fly into Glasgow (which would be April 25th)and take a 5 day coach trip that ends in Edinburgh. From there, rent a car and travel up to Aberdeenshire and stay at the Skene House. Leave to come back to the US on May 6th from Aberdeen.

Can you recommend any good places to rent a car from? How difficult is it to change from American driving? What type of funds should I set aside for food/drink? I don't need to eat at fancy places but would love to enjoy the local establishments. Thank you!
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 12:19 PM

You can't swing a deceased feline in Aberdeenshire without smacking it into a castle.

Plus just a short drive to Balmoral, which you can visit to some extent if HRM isn't there.

<<What type of funds should I set aside for food/drink?>>

Uh, about $50/day - best to have too much than too little. Just don't "buy" pounds when you get there, get your cash from an ATM. The Scots have electricity now, even in Orkney.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 01:29 PM

I like your plan, may I recommend Arnold Clark for car rental ( in the UK they say car hire)
http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/
I've seen some less than enthusiastic reviews about this company, but we rented from them this summer and I was very pleased with the service and vehicle. You take your US driver's license, credit card, and passport and they pretty much take care of the rest. They are a bit fussier about sticking to your reservation times than in the US, but this is a minor point.
Driving in the UK is doable, but the roads are VERY narrow and take some getting used to. My suggestion would be to take the train or bus from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, and spend the first day in Aberdeen travelling via local bus and cab. Tell the Cabbie you are new to Scotland and will be "hiring" a car later. They will offer you some fine local tips. Almost like hiring a driving instructor. I did this in Glasgow and the Cabbie's tips saved my posterior from inadvertently doing something that would have gotten me a traffic ticket.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 01:30 PM

just FYi. Megabus is in the UK and worth a thought:
http://uk.megabus.com/uk-destinations.aspx
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM

The trains mentioned above are in the wrong part of the country for you.

Very nice plan. By tour from Glasgow, do you mean a Rabbies (or Timberbush -- another good company but I prefer Rabbies) ? If so, one ending in either Glasgow or Edinburgh would work equally well -- the two cities are a short train ride apart. So if you find a tour that ends in Glasgow -- it is a snap getting to Edinburgh on your own. Then spend 2 night in Edinburgh. I would not take any sort of large coach tour.

There are more Rabbie's departures out of Edinburgh so even IF you fly into GLA, you could just stay one night and then train over to Edinburgh for a couple of nights and take a 4 or 5 day tour from there.

Say 4 nights in Aberdeenshire would be wonderful -- Dunnottar, Crathes, Deeside, Craigievar (a MUST), Castle Fraser and lots more. On the way up you could visit Glamis (another must), and (if you are interested) J. M. Barrie's birthplace and Edzell Castle.

Before booking a car -- check autoeurope.com It is a broker based in Maine that is often (but not 100% of the time) much cheaper - they would book you into one of the major rental agencies.

For Edinburgh -- I would pick up your car out at EDI. Easy tram or taxi ride from the city centre and a snap getting on the road onto the main road north. You don't want to drive IN central Edinburgh if you can at all avoid it.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking at the Rabbie and Timberbush sites. It appears they don't have any tours available in April of 2017.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:43 PM

>>It appears they don't have any tours available in April of 2017.<<

Most of their tours run from April through the season

For just one example: This one runs daily starting in April

https://www.rabbies.com/en/tour-scot...kye-3-day-tour
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Oh -- and just incase you are confused by the dates In the UK 1/4/17 means 1 April 2017.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JanisJ...very helpful! Now I'm thinking of just flying into Edinburgh, taking a Rabbie trip then getting a car and heading to Aberdeen. All of you have been so helpful to make this trip a great experience for me! Thank you again!
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 05:11 PM

That would be a terrific couple of weeks.

I'd stay at least 2 nights in Edinburgh (3 nights would be great if you have enough time) before heading out on the tour. The first day or 1.5 days will probably be pretty jet lagged. And Edinburgh is a great walking/clear the head/gawking city (though you will find <i>everything</i> is up hill
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 05:33 PM

yes, starting off your first driving experience in the UK by attempting to navigate Central Edinburgh is NOT recommended. One option is to rail to Perth or Dundee. Several rental agencies are within walking distance of the rail station in these towns, and then you are that much closer to Aberdeen w/o going through the challenge of urban traffic in Edinburgh. The A90 that goes along the north of the river Tay is a bit more of a nice stretch to get sued to left sided road driving.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 05:42 PM

docdan makes a useful suggestion. But (just me personally) -- I'd rather start out from EDI on well marked divided carriageway motorways over getting a car in central Perth or (heaven forbid) central Dundee.

Leaving from EDI starts you out on pretty much open roads. By the time you got to Dundee you'd be well used to the car, the driving and and would be an old hand
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 05:47 PM

or -- another option would be to take a train from central Edinburgh to Aberdeen, take a taxi out to the airport and collect your car there. It is only about 10 miles from ABZ to Skene House.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -