stephens green hotel in Dublin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any personal experience with this hotel? I've been reading posts about hotels in Dublin, but haven't seen many references to this one. There were a few very positive comments, all by one person, I think. Trip Advisor only had a couple reviews, and they were good as well.

We're not going till next summer, but I've already booked airplane so I'm on a roll now. I was quoted a price of 190 euro per room per night, which is a bit higher than I wanted to spend (we are getting two rooms since we're traveling with our teenaged son and daughter). But that included breakfast and I've seen prices are very high in Dublin. It looks nice on the website....

We want to be walking distance to Trinity College where our other daughter will be studying next summer. I'm a light sleeper so I want someplace quiet with AC, which it has.

Any comments are appreciated!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

anyone?

I've tried searching for it on this forum but it's difficult because all posts referring to the Stephens Green area come up rather than ones specifically about the hotel. since I read them in snatches, it's getting overwhelming.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Hey there Bucky, I work close to the Stephens Green hotel. Can really help as to what the hotel is like as in I have not stayed there but if you need any advice on any thing else I would love to help.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is it in a fairly quiet area (at least at night)? How does it look from the outside? And lastly, about how long a walk to Trinity College?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I stayed there for the Millenium in 2000. At that time there were two separate parts to the hotel we actually stayed in what seemed more like townhouse and not the section that was more like a traditional hotel set up. Our town house rooms were very spacious - two large bedrooms, one en suite, living room, dining room, smaller kitchen. Two bathrooms were clean modern and good water power. Excellent location - merely a ten minute walk to the main are across the Stephens Green - about 15 - 20 minutes to Trinity college...we loved this place...easily fit six of us in one room - two people were on couches/day beds in the living room area that folded up and away during the day no problem. Place was clean...I have no idea about the main hotel as we only went into the reception area to check in and check out...very nice people friendly staff...
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:51 AM

bucky--I don't have any experience with this hotel but I believe it may be part of the O'Callaghan chain. We're staying in a sister property in a couple of weeks and got a good rate from their internet site.

So I did a quick check on this property for you for next July (used Jul 10-13) and you can get an internet rate of Euro139. Check their website www.ocallaghanhotels.ie
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tennischick, i'll try that. Although I did go to the website yesterday and plugged in my dates, which are 7/2/05 to 7/5/05, and it told me the hotel was booked. I thought it was because it was too far in advance (dates not in computer yet or something) so I sent an email. I received a reply quoting me 190 euro, which she said was a promotional rate. My dates are on the weekend, which could be why it's higher than what you found, but I'll try the website again today...maybe there was some glitch yesterday.

kittrdg,

the place you are describing sounds like Stephen's Hall, a Clarion property, which I've read some postings about. I don't think Stephen's Green has apartments, but I may be wrong. I was considering that place, but read some negative reviews on Trip advisor. (That's the problem with Trip advisor, sometimes a few bad reviews can scare you off and it might be a fluke. I can't remember what turned me off, but it might have been desribed as noisy, which is a big concern of mine. Yes...I think they said there was no night staff there to complain to if a noisy party is going on next door in the middle of the night).
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:49 PM

Bucky: I had booked a standard room at Stephens Green through Utell for 129 euros without breakfast. I ultimately opted for The Westbury hotel, for 200 euros with breakfast. We were happy with the switch, much more convenient location and a 5 star hotel.

We passed by the Stephens Green and it looked like a very congested corner now that it is directly on the route of the LAUS.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Frank. I'm now looking into the Brooks, which sounds conveniently located and quiet, which is a big requirement.

I went to the Westbury's website and plugged in my dates. The only room that came back was a suite at over 700 euro per night! Although we are traveling with two teens, we don't want a suite, since they need separate beds rather than a pull out. And two bathrooms are nice to have with 4 people. So it's two rooms for us, which gets pretty pricey. (Even when I requested one room for two people, this suite price popped up).

I'm hoping to be able to get a good rate at the Brooks. I've never used Expedia or any of those because the type (size) of beds are important to us as well as being able to book connecting or close rooms.

What is Utel? And what is the LAUS?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:19 AM

Bucky: That's Luas, the new light rail system that began running along St. Stephens Green last month.

Utell is a hotel booking site that seems to deal with lots of European Hotels. Type Utell into a search engine and check rates.

The trick on the Westbury site is to systematically check your dates with each of their package deals. It takes a few minutes but some of the package rates are execellant.

Also you seem to be booking your hotel way to early. If you book something now, just make sure you can cancel it without penalty and than check back in January with some of the other hotels and the one you booked, you will probably get a better price. Also check back a couple of weeks before you leave for last minute deals.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Bucky - I lived very close to the hotel for 2 years. It is a good hotelk and well run and kept. The location is very handy but for 190 a bit pricey. If you can ger the 129 rate its a bargain. While the westbury is morew central and has AC (YOu will not need this overe here I guarantee it!) it can be pricey. Brooks is a lovely hotel but can be pricey as they recently did some renovations. It is smack in the middle of things on a quiet street. It's my secret hgotel bar tha me and my friends meet in for a quiet drink.

Stephens Hall for those curios is different and is apt accommodation for short or long lets.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The reason I want AC is for noise control. I've read here that the central Dublin hotels are on noisy streets with lots of late night rowdiness, and I'm a light sleeper.

I'll going to wait a while and see if I can get any special promotional rates at the Westbury or Brooks. Because we're using frequent flier miles, I booked the airplane last week and that's why I've had it on my mind and was getting enthused, but it's too early to book the hotel, I know.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:56 AM

Brooks is a lovely hotel and on a quiet street. You will not have nopise problems here. ALso the westbury is high up enpough to avoid most noise. I know the Westbury has air conditioning and I assume brooks does as well.

S