Search

Stein am Rhein Day Trip from Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stein am Rhein Day Trip from Zurich

Hello,

I will be finishing my three-week trip to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in early September. I have my last two days of my trip in Zurich and was thinking
about a day trip to Stein am Rhein. However, I wasn't sure if this town would be similar to places I have already been to. Looking for a unique contrast. I was also looking at Colmar but is this similar to Rothenburg ob der Tauber? Spending my last day touring Zurich is always an option.

Here are the places I am planning so far.

Germany -
Würzburg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Dinkelsbühl - Nördlingen
Austria -
Salzburg (Base) - Walking tour, Hiking, Maybe Day trip to St, Gilgen & Hallstatt?
Switzerland -
Jungfrau Area (Wengen Base), Bern, Thun Lake Cruise, Schilthorn
Lucerne (Base) - Lake Cruise, City walking tour, Mt Titlis
Zurich (Base) - City tour, Possible day trip to Stein Am Rhein???

Thank you for any replies/suggestions.
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 07:44 AM

It's a short train ride from Zurich to Stein am Rhein (it's not similar to Colmar, neither to Rothenburg an der Tauber).
I would recommend to go first from Zurch to Schaffhausen, have a look at this medieval town with castle, visit the Rhine Falls and board then a Sein am Rhein bound rhine river boat. After your vist of Stein and of the castle of Hohenklingen, you may go on by Rhine river boat up to Konstanz and reach Zurich by direct train from there.
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 08:06 AM

I went to Stein am Rhein a couple of times after we first moved here. It's certainly pretty but ... to be honest, I prefer going to Rheinfelden, a Basel suburb that has some SaR resemblance on a smaller scale and getting there takes me less than 20 minutes. Or Murten which I can enjoy for a few hours if I'm in Bern overnight. But a visitor would enjoy the real SaR more.

We have not done the Rhine falls yet, which is on our "one of these days..." list. They do look impressive.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 06:56 AM

Visit the Rhine Falls! There you can also take a boat trip on the Rhine River. If necessary, you can still visit Stein am Rhein, which is not far away.