Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice for Schaffhausen, Stein am Rhein visit?

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Dee

Is anyone familiar with the towns of Stein am Rhine, Schaffhausen, or Regensberg north of Zurich? We have 3-4 days for that area in October, and heard it's worth a look. We're specifically looking for romantic accommodations and suggestions on what to do.

A rough plan is to start in Regensberg, head northeast to Schaffhausen, then to Stein am Rhein. Any thoughts on how many days/nights to devote to each? Perhaps one night in each town, going west to east? (We have to meet friends from Germany, and thought we'd reduce their driving time.O

We are relying on the public transport system, so no car. I thought I read about a boat between 2 of the towns. We once made a very brief visit to Rheinfell and would consider seeing again via the boat trip.

Any good advice would be appreciated-thanks!

Sep 6th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Mike

Dee,

I'm not an expert on the area, but I have stayed twice at the Rheinhotel Fischerzunft in Schaffhausen. I enjoyed the falls, but I thought Schaffhausen was merely pleasant.

However, the hotel is unique, at least in my experience, owned by a Swiss chef and his Japanese wife. The two cultures influence the running of the establishment in fairly equal measure. Figure that out!

The cooking is an extraordinary home grown version of fusion cooking that predates my awareness of the concept by several years. It is also a more glamorous interpretation than many I've come across. The rooms are very well appointed and highly intriguing (maybe I should let you find out their little secrets), although some are small and do not have views (the hotel is on the river). So you need to be picky.

It is expensive. It is striving for luxurious elegance rather than out and out romance, so may not be quite what you are looking for.

Sep 6th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Mike

I forgot to add that it is in the town, so suitable for access by public transport.

Sep 6th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Ursula

Dee, yes, I second Mike's suggestion. The Fischerzunft is definitely a nice and very romantic place to consider. However, small (only 20 beds) and very popular esp. for weddings and family get-togethers, etc.
Another one on the Rhine as well is the Rheinfels***.
Stein am Rhein has a very nice web page you might want to have a look at for further information.
www.steinamrhein.ch
(there is an English version)

Schaffhausen itself has not that romantic places - as far as I know. Stayed once at the Kronenhof*** (www.kronenhof.ch) overlooking the Munot and found it quite a nice place.
www.schaffhausen-tourism.ch
(as well an English version)

Sorry, I am not really familiar with Regensberg.
Hope this helps. Have a nice stay!

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Dee

Mike and Ursula, Thanks for your help. Mike's comments certainly convinced my stomach about the Fischerzunft. Ursula, thanks for the suggestions and web addresses.

I appreciate this forum for sharing info. Thanks again!

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Anna

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Rheinfels in Stein am Rhein. The rooms were nice and they had a great restaurant right on the Rhein.

http://www.rheinfels.ch/Englisch/default.htm

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Betsy

We stayed at the Rheinfels in June 2000. The view of the river is spectacular, but I will not stay there again.

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Patrick

We stayed a couple of nights at the Reinfels and loved it. We found the room spotless and atmospheric, the staff warm and friendly, the food wonderful, and the location and view ideal. What was wrong, Betsy, or do you simply mean you wouldn't return to that area? By the way. Last year we stayed in Zurich for 5 nights and did a day trip again to Schaffhousen, this time by train from Zurich. We walked "around the falls" going down one side of the river, across a bridge below the falls, and back up the other side. We then took a bus into town where we had lunch before catching a boat in Schaffhusen past Stein am Rhine (where you can get off if you wish) to Konstantz. From there we caught a train back to Zurich. It was a delightful day. There is much to do in that area. Frankly I'd either do it all from Zurich, or spend a couple of nights in Stein am Rhine and do much of it from there.