Staying on Ile de la Cite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at an apartment rental on Ile de la Cite. One positive feature is being close to RER line to CDG for our early flight out. But what of negatives? It is in the middle of everything, but not that close to anything (okay, that overstates it)? We've stayed in the middle of the Marais and enjoyed the shops, restaurants, street life -- Ile de la Cite seems a bit more sedate (too sedate?) and maybe a bit further from markets, etc. Is this a good or bad location for a one week stay?
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most short term rentals in Paris are in limbo/illegal for at least the time being. Things are in flux and a few apartments have been cleared but most haven't.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm aware of the rental issue in general, so I tried to ignore it for this question. But thanks for the reminder -- we're hoping to avoid the hotels (which cost more and offer less in most cases), but we have survived them in style before, so if that's what's allowed, I guess we'll have to suffer in Paris in a hotel (ha!).
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just re the location -- IMO/IME it would be a fabulous location for a week's stay (IF the flat is legal )

It is close to everything really.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:15 AM

If cost is an issue avoid Ile de la cité - it is the most expensive place of all Paris.
Apartments there cost a fortune, so rentals will not come cheap.

I've never been able to sleep in a hotel on the island, simply because of the cost.

As for the legality issue of apartments, if you ignore the question, I just wish you luck - it will probably be ok, it will certainly be illegal.
You'd be helping thieves basically to cheat the state by evading taxes.

But what the heck, probably not your problem.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:18 AM

It's not the place I would want to stay, but many people do and like it. I don't think there is any definitive answer on this one. I don't care for it because of its location and needing to go off the island to get to a metro, and that it isn't like a real neighborhood to me with more diversity and scope.

I guess it is sedate in that the people who live there have tons of money, but I'm not sure in what way you mean. There is certainly plenty of activity around there, lots of tourists for one thing.

As for markets, it's probably not any farther to some than many points in many other arrondissements, so it depends what the alternative is. I presume you are talking about the periodic roving markets that are in every arrondissement. There is one near the Hotel de Ville on Wed afternoon and Sat morning, for example, and one at place Maubert in the 5e, not far as all, 3 times a week.

I think there are certainly plenty of shops on the island though.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM

We rented an apartment on the Ile a couple of years ago in Rue Chanoinesse, which is quite close to Nortre Dame; you can hear the bells. As I recall the only problem was that it was a bit of a walk off of the Ile to find groceries, but there were some lovely restaurants. We particularly liked Au Bougnat, on our street.

We were also surprised that once you were a block off of the main drag, Rue d'Arcole the mobs of tourists were nonexistent.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Whathello:

When I said I was ignoring the legal/illegal issue, I meant solely for purposes of asking "is this a good place to stay?" If it's great but it turns out to be illegal, I won't stay there (or any other place with a similar issue). In fact, I have very mixed feelings about the entire apartment rental/villa rental/airbnb thing, because it puts those with a big investment in a fixed location (hotels) at a disadvantage with itinerants in the competing marketplace. Same thing for Uber. But, it IS a real part of the market at the moment.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM

If you will be arriving in Paris in the next few weeks, you might not have a problem with renting an apartment anywhere, but there is no certainty when the law will take effect.
No date has been announced for the next phase of enforcement, which involves the owner's having to prove that he complies with city ordinances, after which he will receive a registration number and will be allowed to advertise on the internet. Since this is a complicated process, it will take time for the city to verify the owner's information and issue the registration number.

Agencies are continuing to list property, because they aren't involved in this process. But if the property owners they represent cannot comply with city ordinances, you risk a last-minute cancellation.

There is virtually nothing on Ile de la Cite except government buildings and a few cafes. You'd have to go elsewhere to stock the apartment. It's just a short walk across the river to get to either RER B or C. If you have lots of luggage, though, you might want to take a taxi, since the flat rates are in effect.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

This will be next May, so if laws are different (or enforced differently), that will be in effect, I guess. We won't have much luggage, and the taxi issue is more about morning rush hour traffic -- we've seen that mess before.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:27 PM

By next May, I would expect the registration of apartments to be straightened out. I wouldn't rent an apartment now for next May.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Oh My! I just saw this about apartment rental being illegal. I'm renting an apartment for a week very soon. It is already paid in full. Is this something I should be worried about if I am visiting fairly soon?

By the way, I will be in this same area.

Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM

I certainly wouldn't have an issue renting an illegal apartment as it relates to "helping thieves basically to cheat the state by evading taxes". My actions do absolutely nothing as it relates to a failure to enforce tax laws. The issue for me is simply one of risk - if the government actually enforces the existing law that has been on the books but unenforced for many years and the owner must cancel, then I need to have plan b in place or run the risk of not having a place to stay.

I think, actually, continuing to rent, albeit with an increasing risk associated with not having a place to stay, may encourage the government to move quicker with its enforcement plan. IF the government picks up the pace, everyone, including the aiders and abetters of tax evasion will have some since of finality to this long suffering issue. This process has been going on for a couple of years now. It will get sorted out the way the government wants it, when they want it.

And we'll not have to listen to the continuing preaching about whether it is good or bad to rent an apartment in Paris.

As for the OP's question, you cannot be more central than on the isle. You should check for the markets for food stuffs that are closest to your location well in advance. I find the ability to cook several meals, along with have breakfast in the refrigerator waiting for me in the morning is more than enough reason to stay in an apartment.

BTW, the last two apartments I choose and stayed in are on the limited list of approved apartments on the website of the mairie.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps when the authorities can remove all of the personnel helping to keep tourists and residents safe from terrorists, we taxpayers can approve hiring more people to enforce rental laws better.

Of course the apartment owners who are evading taxes are not even helping to finance the security officers so it's kind of a vicious circle.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Well apersuader, I don't care either for one moment if you find yourself outside of an apartment which stays closed when you have paid half of the rent by cash a few months before.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM

you know, when I first read this, my head was thinking Ile St Louis as that is where most residences are. That's why I said that about going off for the metro and people being rich (they probably are on Ile de la Cite also just due to real estate costs).

I would never want to stay on Ile de la Cite, even less than Ile St Louis. But that's just me, obviously. As someone said, that is mainly govt buildings, Notre Dame, (and tourists).

I've seen periodic reports on real estate costs per m2 by arrondissement and I think overall the 6th is the most expensive. But places around Place Vendome in particular are some of the most costly. Maybe on Ile St Louis, haven't seen it broken out.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:20 PM

Seriously Christina? You would never want to stay in the hisotric heart of Paris? I don't see the logic behind this.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Well apersuader, I don't care either for one moment if you find yourself outside of an apartment which stays closed when you have paid half of the rent by cash a few months before.>

How many cases have there been of this- scare tactics it seems.

I'le de la Cite would be so boring - nothing of a real neighborhood- few nice cafes -some small stores but a great great location within walking distance of so many great sights.

Not sure why locals are so outraged by illegal apartments in a backwater devote to tourism as the Ile de la Cite- Paris yes has lots more problems to be concerned about than driving tourists out of affordable places to stay- must own hotels I guess.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 12:17 AM

KLB2016 - I'd stay in contact with the person you are renting from. It is the property owner who must comply with city regulations.
An agency doesn't have to comply with anything.
If the apartment you rented is unavailable, hopefully the agency can re-house you in another one.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 03:50 AM

PQ. It is not scare tactics.
I just don't care for people breaking the laws and being accomplices of thieves.
Everybody complains about pickpockets or - horror - petition girls.
Yet how much do they steal from you if they succeed ? 20 ? 50 ? 100 euros ?
Somebody like persuader going in an illegal apartment would steal how much ? Say 300 euros a night - 7 nights = 2100 euros. Means stealing about 600 or 800 euros.
That I have to make up with my taxes.
If people like a persuader would pay honestly the correct price not from tax evading people how many cops could we hire to check the pickpocketers ?
So no. I don't like people using my taxes and not contributing. And probably complaining about dog poo not being cleaned too.
Rant over. I pay my taxes I would expect others to do the same.
Rant really over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -