STAYING NEAR ST. PETER'S???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS THIS AREA SAFE? RECOMMENDED TOURS WILL BE APPRECIATED AS WE'LL.
WE'LL BE IN ROME FOUR NIGHTS.

ALSO, TAKING A COSTA CRUISE AND NEED TRANSPORTATION FROM ROME CITY TO CIVITAVECCHIA AND BACK TO ROME FCO AIRPORT FOLLOWING THE CRUISE SO WE CAN CATCH A PLANE TO LONDON. .
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM

For transport to and from the port, you have two choices, you can book transfers with Costa, they should have transfers from their prefered hotels in Rome, or book private transfers. I recommend the later, we used Rome Cabs.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM

All of central Rome is safe, but why there? It's one end of Rome; there are better (but generally more expensive) locations in the historic center.

The two things many people join tours for are the Vatican Museums and ancient Rome (Colosseum, Forum). The Vatican Museums offer their own tours; there are dozens of ancient-Rome tours out there. Consider a Roma Pass for three of your four days:
http://www.roninrome.com/%20transpor...uy-a-roma-pass

You can hire a car and driver for your Civitavecchia transfers (Rome Shuttle Limousine, Rome Cabs) or if you do not have a massive amount of luggage, you can do it by train: www.trenitalia.com
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Train from Rome to Civitavecchia is less than 10€. Is there is a reason you want to stay near St. Peter's?
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

An Italian friend of mine told me we could take the subway (train) to all parts of Rome from the St Peter's area. Is he incorrect? Prices for B and B's is reasonable from this area. Should we look elsewhere??
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:20 PM

I like that area, I stayed there the first time I visited Rome and it was fine. We walked all over the area. You can take a subway too.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM

We have stayed near St. Peter's at the Hotel Alimandi and liked our hotel and the location.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your time.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>An Italian friend of mine told me we could take the subway (train) to all parts of Rome from the St Peter's area. Is he incorrect?<<<

It depends on which side of the Vatican you stay on.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM

What B&Bs are you looking at? And what are the prices? If you could get a more centrally located B&B for the same price, would you?

It's all safe, but some B&Bs are quite a bit behind the Vatican, and you will be adding extra distance to most of your touristing. But if you are close to the Tiber, I've found it scarcely makes a difference for overall touristing if you are staying near the Vatican.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM

On our 1st trip to Rome in 1997, we also stayed at Hotel Alimandi. You can't get closer to the Vatican. It is a great hotel and a very safe area. The only reason we picked other areas to stay in on future trips, is that there isn't much around it. I like to have different places to eat close by my hotel for those times we are so tired we just want to have a bite close to where we're staying.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Since you mentioned B & Bs, I should mention the Alimandi has a wonderful full breakfast included in their prices. I would agree that the area it is in is not teeming with restaurants but we were able to find some within walking distance that we were pleased with. Although the area is quite busy in the daytime (right by the entrance to the Vatican museums) it is much quieter at night. We liked the quiet as we wanted a good night's sleep but it might be too dull for those who want active night life.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
J62

If your hotel is close to the metro than you can take it to points all around. Except the part that I enjoy the most - the historic center. And since you're located far away from many of the sights many people enjoy, you NEED to spend the time going back and forth.

I like to stay in the historic center near Pantheon/Pza Navonna/Campo dei Fiori area myself. Nothing beats being able to step out the front door and skip over to the Campo dei Fiori for the morning market, popping back into my hotel (or apartment) for a quick afternoon rest/refresh before heading right back out into the thick of things for dinner or an evening just enjoying Rome.

That's much harder to do if you're staying by the Vatican, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, St. Peter's is one of my favorite places anywhere & I make several visits there each time I'm in Rome. Many people enjoy staying by the Vatican. I'm not one of them.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM

Personally, I would not stay over by St. Peters. It is fine to visit(usually one day) but the historic center and the rest of Rome is more interesting to sleep in.
I fly to Rome several times a month(going again this Sunday) and as J62 said you have more to do,see and eat if you stay around the area they suggested.
The metro in Rome is not as useful as say Paris or London. In fact, you do better either walking or taking the bus/tram around the city.
Get a good guidebook and then just use a "walk up guide" if you want at the Vatican or Colliseum.Plan on one day doing historic Rome,then another day at Vatican Rome;another day hitting places like Trevi and the Pantheon with lingering over food and wine with shopping.
Rome can not be seen in one trip so just touch on the highlights and hope that you can go back-it grows on you each time!Just get out and mingle with the people in the various neighborhoods,at the markets,eating at the local places so that you can enjoy everything it has to offer.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

We appreciate every one of you for your time and comments. Thank you very much.