Staying near Piazza del Populo in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your opinion of staying near Piazza del populo in Rome? Is it too far away from the main sights? It appears there is a metro stop there, and the piazza seems to be quite a beautiful spot -- or is that just the way the pictures were taken? We have been to Rome before on short tips of 1-3 days and this one will be only 3 days before we go home. Will we waste too much time getting to and from places? We are two couples in our 70s and in good health, but not inclined to walk endlessly, or to stay in noisy, congested areas. Being old fogies, we tend to call it a night pretty early.

Thanks, Charnee
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM
J62

I much prefer the area around Pz. Navona, the Pantheon, or Campo dei Fiori. All those areas are in the middle of pedestrian only zones with many outdoor cafes, (plus many many more other restaurants & shops), "fun to people watch" street activity throughout the day, etc.

Personally I don't like being on a busy car/scooter/bus street the minute I step out my hotel door. A quiet alley is much more laid back for me.

I find that being near the metro offers no great advantage due to the excellent bus service and relatively cheap taxis all over Rome. The metro is handy only if you are going to destinations near a stop - Vatican museum or Colosseum.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM

Ditto. I think Piazza del Populo is too far out.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM

I agree that the Piazza is beautiful, but also agree it is too far from the major sites. Your feet will be happy if you stay near Piazza Navona, or Piazza Farnese, or Campo dei Fiori.

All of these are great, central locations. You can't go wrong in this area.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM

Strictly my opinion but as Piazzas go, it isn't very pretty and it's not intimate at all. It's a huge, almost empty space and it is a distance to walk to the other major sites.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM

We just stayed right at the Piazza de Popolo for the fouth time in as many years. We are in our 60's and love the location. We walk to the Trevi etc and to the Spanish Steps. The cafes on the piazza offer a great people watching spots all day and evening. It's very quiet in that area at night. There are good restaurants on or around the piazza and we would not stay in any other location. There is also a cab stand right there and that has come in very handy at times.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM

I suggest you near the Pantheon as that is a most convenient area with lots of options for lodging and dining in every budget.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM

Agreed with everyone above. Piazza del Popolo certainly isn't Rome's most scenic piazza, and its very trafficy. I too would stick to the Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori or Piazza Rotunda/Pantheon area.

Tracy
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
sjj

In Piazza del Populo you're convenient to the Borghese Gallery, the wonderful and not much visited Etruscan Museum, and Santa Maria del Populo, with its great Caravaggios. Also, I like the look of the place. Alas, they're right about the location. It's a little too far north to walk to most tourist attractions, and starting your day on the metro is gruesome. Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Navona or the Pantheon is better.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM

Chamees:

After several stays in Rome at two different places over the years, we settled on our favorite about four years ago and I've touted it many times on this forum...near Via Veneto, the Trevi, Spanish Steps and Pza Barberini...you can walk to Navona, Fiori, Pantheon with very little difficulty, day or night.

Ask me about boat travel on the Tiber within the city, a little known mode which is cheap, fun and reliable.

Hotel Modigliani..delightful boutique establishment...friendly staff, elevator, courtyard, rooftop.

http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/

Enjoy Rome, Chamees!...we, too, are in our 70's...and for your information, that ain't old fogey-ish anymore!

Stu T.
[email protected]
California
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM

P.S. Chamees

The Modig is on a very quiet street, Ave Purificacion..many restaurants nearby..an excellent buffet breakfast provided by Modig.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM

I don't like the Piazza del Popolo area much. I don't find the piazza attractive and it's just too much hustle and bustle for me.

I adore the Hotel Modigliani! Very quiet street, wonderful staff, nice interior garden, great breakfast, and walkable distance to a lot of sights.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you've been to Rome before, I think whether this location is too removed depends on what you want to see on this trip. FYI, the Ara Pacis nearby on the banks of the Tiber is worth a visit.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

IMO the Piazza del Popolo is a little too far removed from the central part of the city. I would personally prefer trying to stay near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. However, I don't think Piazza del Popolo is much farther out than Trastevere where many people like to stay.
Being near a Metro stop isn't necessarily very helpful in getting to many of the major sights since the metro line was built outside the central historic area. If you do stay in Piazza del Popolo neighborhood you might find the buses down Via del Corso more helpful in getting around.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM

Well, it's on the north edge of the Centro Storico, so not completely out of the action. Closer than many areas to the steps, Borghese, etc as sjj says, and to shopping, as tower points out. It's a realtively easy walk to the Vatican museums and other "north-west of the Tiber" attractions. The first day I ever spent in ROme I arrived by train at the Flaminia station, just outside Pza del Popolo. I covered the whole town on foot and back in time for my return train north.

My favorite place to stay is as far south as PdP is north: The Aventine. But the tradeoff there is for quiet, leafy streets, pretty houses, high elevation with breezes, and also very close to dining options in Trastevere and Testaccio (where local families fill the restaurants). AND to much more.

For the 4 of you, it might be tiresome to be in the PdP area - or not. Maybe you like it better slightly off-center? Not ON the pizza, I would think - but I have seen listings for some nice apartments nearby - via Babuino, for instance.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM

Stayed in the PoP area a few years ago and enjoyed it. Liked the area, the restaurants and shopping. Stayed on a quiet side street so noise wasn't a factor. Yes, it is a small distance to some of the main tourist sights, but closer to others. We walked from the PoP to the Piazza Navona area but you could just as easily take a cab. We also metro'd to the Vatican, not difficult.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your info and opinions. We still have not settled on a place to stay (we have plenty of time left), but appreciate the input.

And, by the way, when I said we were old fogies in our 70s I was making ze leetle joke! as my husband and I say, quoting an Italian we met in Firenze years ago.

Charnee