Rome - Navona, Sp. Steps, or Trevi?

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome - Navona, Sp. Steps, or Trevi?

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations regarding which area of Rome to stay in.

It's our first time there. We have three full days - will want to see all the major sights, so want to be fairly central. Would also like something that 'feels' like Rome - walking distance to shops, cafes, etc.

Have read some of the posts already here. All of these areas - Navona, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain - seem to be recommended. It doesn't seem that they are too far from each other.

Any advice on where to stay?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM

The areas you mention are all pretty close to on another. The Spanish Steps area has more upscale shopping nearby. Any of these locations would be convenient. ALl things being equal with hotels, I'd prefer the Navonna/Pantheon area, but any of them owuld be ifne.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM

One of the reasons I like the Spanish Steps area is that the Metro is close by. Sometimes when you've limited time, it's nice to be by the Metro in order to get to the Vatican more quickly. Also, it's easy to use the escalators in that particular Metro in order to get to Parco Borghese and the Galleria Borghese, via Veneto, and even Piazza Barberini if you want to walk there.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I was very happy with the Trevi/Via Veneto area, was able to walk just about everywhere, and was very close to the Barberini metro, which is a great plus. All of those areas will be fine.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM

We loved the Pantheon area, and would also have been happy in the Navona area, but there are fewer hotel choices there. People on this site, including me, love Albergo del Senato. Very central, quiet (b/c it's on the pedestrian Pantheon square), and full of atmosphere. I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM

In general the Navona/Pantheon area, being in the 'old' part of Rome is more charming, with winding cobblestone streets and lots of small trattorias and shops. The Spanish Steps\Trevei area is more commercialized with some very busy streets, large stores close by, etc. It depends on what you want.