staying in wine town laguardia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone stayed or visited laguardia, near bilbao? any and all recommendations for how to get there, places to stay, restaurants and wineries would be great. our guide only had a page on it! we are relying on public transport as an aside.

Old May 28th, 2003, 07:26 AM

wherehk,
I've stayed in Laguardia many times, as we have friends in the wine industry there and it's my favorite Riojan wine town. We're taking a group down in July for lunch and a winery tour. I've written quite a bit of detailed (read "loong!&quot info about it here with tour hrs. for the wineries that you may be able to find with a text search (if the search function is working well today)!

for lodging, I always recommend 3 charming inns:

the B&B, the Mayor de Migueloa, right on the main street of the entirely pedestrians only medieval walled town.
the Castillo de Collado, which is an exquisite little gem, a former manor home, outside the walls but attachted to them.
the Antigua Bodega de don Cosme Palacios, which was created from the old winery, next to the new Bodegas Palacio winery, below the city off the highway to Logrono.

For wineries, there's the Bodegas Palacio,
the brand new state-of-the-art Santiago Calatrava designed Bodegas Ysios outside of town on the Camino del Poblado past the tiny Poblado de la Hoya Iron Age museum, and the Bodegas Fabulista, in the walled town, right next to the tourist office. Also the beautiful Bodegas Campillo on the Logrono road (which absolutely requires a prior apt.) The tourist office has a list of all area wineries with contact numbers. Many do require a prior apt.

As for restaurants:
the Marixa, which is a classic and favorite of the wine merchants and chefs, serving hearty Riojan Basque cuisine and fabulous homemade desserts in a dining room with great views of the vineyards and lovely countryside. Run by the Acillona brothers-one is chef, one is sommelier, one is the maitre. It's on Sancho Abarca, the street leading up to the entrance to the walled town. Also has pleasant and inexp. rooms upstairs.

the elegant dining room of the Castillo del Collado, which belongs to the owner of the Marixa.

the d.r. of the Antigua Bodega de don Cosme Palaciios, which has a new French chef.

also for pintxos (tapas) there's the new El Portico, a tiny second floor walk up right at the end of the main drag in the walled town, the Calle Mayor de Migueloa, near the church.

More info in English at
www.alavaincoming.com/english/produ-turcul.html
(on right side, click on "Visit to Laguardia",
"Museum of Wine" and "A Visit to El Fabulista Winery".
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

maribel -- fantastic! thanks for being so generous with your time and information...
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Me again,
The "bad" news I forgot earlier:
To reach Laguardia by public transport, you'd have to bus from Bilbao to Logrono then take another bus (or taxi) to Laguardia, about 15 min. away.

If you'd really like to stay in Laguardia, and if you're on a tight budget and speak a bit of Spanish, there's another modest but nice little lodging option at a "casa rural", a rual B&B, called the "Erletxe" on Mayor de Peralta 24, within the walled town. I always forget to mention it. It's great for dedicated budgeteers (and friendlier than the other "Casa rural Larretxori", despite the rec. from the Rough Guides).
About 50 euros for a double, has 3 doubles with private bath-yummy breakfasts. This May's Tursimo Rural mag. just did a spread on it, so it may get very populr.
phone: (+34) 945 62 10 15
fax: (+34) 945 62 10 15
or send them an email here:
www.toprural.com/ficha/ES.cfm/idp/01/ids/790.htm

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Maribel,

We will be in Laguardia in July (probably 22-25). Right now we are staying at the Antigua Bodega de con Cosme Palacios (although I didn't realize it was not in town). You had mentioned contacting an agency for tours since it might be more fun to have someone in charge of winery visits and lunches?
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:17 AM

katelee,
The agency I mentioned, Totally Spain, handles 3 day packages in Laguardia of hotel stay, rental car, winery visits, etc.
www.totallyspain.com
Here's the bodega info (these were correct in Nov., but they do change seasonally, so check with tourist office):

There's the Wine Institute, Centro Temático del Vino Villa Lucía, outside of town across from the gas station, Ertziantza (police) headquarters and Bodegas Artadi on the Logroño road. It;s a wine museum offering tastings and classes. Open Tues-Sun, 10-2, 5-8. Takes 45 min. to visit museum. Costs 4,21 euros for visit, 8,41 euros for visit and tasting. Last visits are 1:30 and 7:30.
www.villa-lucia.com

Next to the tourist office on Plaza San Juan in medieval walled town, the Bodegas Fabulista in the Samaniego palace. Eusebio, the owner, conducts from 3 to 4 daily 1 hr. guided tours (I believe he can do them in English) that will take you to the catacombs, to one of the warren of over 300 underground cellars (your only chance to see subterranean Laguardia unless a villager invites you down to his cellar) where the wine is made in the traditional way.
At the end of tour, a tasting of 2 wines. Book this either at the Villa-Lucia wine center, at the tourist office or at Fabulista. Eusebio runs these tours alone, so they get filled very quickly.
For a state-of-the-art winery, follow signs to the Camino de la Hoya and then smaller signs past the tiny Poblado de la Hoya archeological museum to the Bodegas Ysios. Look for the undulating titanium roof waving in the distance. Pass the entrance door and park behind the lot to the left of the building. Regularly scheduled tours in English without appointment, M-F at 11, 1 and 4. Just show up. Sat./Sun. are extremely popular, visits only at 11 and 1, and you must call a few days ahead! Phone: 945 600 640
If that won't suffice,
the modern Bodegas Palacio below the town, on the road to Elciego, has scheduled visits at noon, 1 and 2, Tues-Fri. On Sat./Sun, visits at noon and 1. Have your hotel call them at 94 112 1195 , just to make sure of times.

In neighboring Haro, famed Muga winery has scheduled visits Mon-Fri at 11 and 4:30. NO afternoon visit on Fri. 3 euros Just show up-easy! Follow signs in Haro that say Barrio de las bodegas, down by the railroad, F.C.C.C. station. Covered parking across the street. Avoids entering the maze of the old town.

In tiny Abalos,
Bodegas Puelles, M-Sat, 11:30 and 5. Visit takes 1 hr, tasting of 5 wines for 3 euros (call before for Sat. visit)

For the famed Marqués de Riscal winery, oldest in the Rioja, in Elciego, you must have prior apt. and only on weekdays. Mornings only in July. Closed Aug. Speak English and French. Call 941 606 000
www.marquesderiscal.com

Old May 17th, 2015, 02:04 PM

tag
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:31 PM

JES, you are looking at a 12 year old thread