Reload this Page >

Wineries/Hotels Rioja/Navarre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Kath

Hi,<BR>We are booked for two nights at the parador in Olite. Are we too far to make a day trip to the Rioja wineries?<BR>Any suggestions on wineries or alternate accomodations welcome. Los Augustinos Hotel in Haro also looks nice as an alternative though we would prefer to stay in a parador since we hear how wonderful they are.<BR>Thanks!<BR>Kath

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Maribel

Kath,<BR>You don't need to make that trip to the Rioja, as Navarra produces some great reds and roses, and you can tour the wineries. (Although the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada makes a nice Parador base for the Rioja-I personally prefer it to Los Augustinos-but there are also 3 lovely small hotels in Laguardia, Alava: Miguel de Migueloa, the adorable El Castillo del Collado, and Antigua Bodega de don Cosme Palacios).<BR><BR>From the Parador in Olite, you can reach the newly inaugurated (by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, nonetheless!) winery belonging to Chivite, "Senorio de Arinzaro" in the village of Aberin, a 12 million euro created by super architect Rafael Moneo.<BR><BR>Or Las Campanas in village of the same name (Mon-Fri 9-2)<BR><BR>Or in Puente la Reina,<BR>Bodegas Sarria (Mon-Fri 10-12)<BR><BR>But I'm not sure that they provide tours in English. Maybe Spanish only, or Spanish and French.<BR><BR>You can see a list of wineries at<BR>www.filewine.es<BR><BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Maribel

Kath,<BR>You can see a complete list of Navarra wineries at<BR>www.vinosnavarra.com/bodegas2.html<BR>But many do require a prior appointment for a tour.<BR><BR>Just found out that in July a friend is taking us from Pamplona to the Bodegas Orvalaiz, in Obanos, near Puente la Reina, then to lunch at the Olite Parador. He organizes tours to the Navarra and Rioja wineries.<BR>You could email the bodega at [email protected] for an apt. to visit if you're interested.<BR><BR>But if you'd rather venture to the Rioja, from Olite it's only 65 miles to Laguardia (Biasteri in Basque), so yes, you could make a day trip. 86 km. to Haro. Laguardia is just beyond Logrono. Although there are wineries in Logrono, we think small, completely walled, medieval Laguardia, the capital of the Rioja Alavesa, is an undiscovered gem. And we enjoy the wines of the Rioja Alavesa more. If you do go for the day, please make sure to have lunch at Marixa, right outside the walls, owned by the genleman as the Castillo del Collado. It's well known throughout the Basque Country (and among famous Basque chefs) for its hearty, delicious, classic Riojan cuisine and extensive wine list. Pretty views of the countryside from the upstairs dining room. A classic<BR>not to be missed.<BR><BR>For info on Laguardia, see<BR>www.alavaincoming.com<BR>www.laguardia-alava.com

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Kath

Thank you Maribel!<BR>I have read many of your posts on this board & I have found them all to be very helpful.<BR>Based on your recommendation, I have requested to change my reservation to the parador in Santo Domingo. It seems to be more in proximity to all of the places in la Rioja we would like to see. We are looking for English speaking tours/tastings of the wineries that are of course,tourist friendly. Hopefully, there will be availability at Santo Domingo. Otherwise we will make the day trip to either Haro or Laguardia from Olite. I looked at the website for the bodega you are going to visit in Navarre & I could not access it at http://www.evena.com/. If they offer tours in english, I would be interested in learning more about it should my reservation at Santo Domingo fall through.<BR>Thanks Again!<BR>Kath<BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Maribel

Hi Kath,<BR>Thanks.<BR>Hope the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada can accomodate you (the Paradors are just terrific!). I believe the 2nd floor front rooms have terraces overlooking the square. In the Gothic cathedral there, look for the live rooster and hen in the cage above to your left as you go in, and ask the desk staff at the Parador to tell you the legend they represent.. <BR>There's lots to explore in that area.<BR>If you like historic sites, the Monasteries of Yuso and Suso at San Millan de la Cogolla are just south of there (20 km) in a very pretty valley and quite interesting.<BR><BR>The web site for the Bodegas Orvalaiz gives no info about their tours, just a fax and email. <BR>http://evena.drago.net/bodegas/orval1.html<BR><BR>Also look at<BR>www.redrioja.com<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time!