Staying in Venice during the Venice Film Festival

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attending the Venice Film Festival. I wonder if anyone has advice on where (as in which neighborhood) in Venice to stay during the festival? I do not want to stay on the Lido. I believe (but correct me if I am wrong, please) that it would be easy by vaporetto to get to the Lido from the San Marco area, but if possible I'd like to say somewhere a bit less full of tourists and I would like to rent an apartment. I especially like the Cannaregio area of Venice, but have never tried from there to get to the Lido, particularly the area of the Lido where the film festival is held. I am open to any advice on neighborhoods where it would be good to stay during the festival with the goal of it not being a huge hassle to get from there to the Lido to the festival. Thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 12:59 AM

there's a couple of good self contained appartmnets that i know are quite fair and don't ask a fortune,considering its still high season,the only problem is the are situated on the lido,the advantage is you're near to the festival and away from the tourists you get in Venice,if you do change your mind about staying on the lido,i can pass on the details..
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:45 AM

It's easy to get to the Lido from any vaporetto stop. Easy depends on how much time you have for travel.

To avoid congestion, avoid relying on Piazza San Marco and Rialto vaporetto stops. Beyond those two, you can stay almost anywhere else and enjoy relative peace and quiet, and get to the Lido without much hassle.

There's nothing wrong with choosing Cannaregio as a base, you simply have to allow more time to make the commute.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM

This post is from May - and if the OP doesn;t have a place to stay by now - they are probably going to sleep on a park bench.

I had a congress one year right after the film festival - and arrived during the last day. We had hotel reserved 8 months in advance and the cost of the FF night was more than double that of the following days.

Yes, the hotel was on the Lido - where the congress center is.

Ordinarily it's easy to get back and forth - but if there is a major congress on there can be long lines waiting to get on the vaporetto in either direction - so a 20 minutes trip can have a 30 to 40 minutes wait added to it.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 01:06 PM

It's so annoying that Fodor's doesn't offer a way to immediately identify "old" posts. I caught the date on the first reply but missed the OP's date. Obviously, samanta4261 is skirting the rules by suggesting "self contained apartments," which is more discreet than most advertisers.