Staying in Tuscany

Nov 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Staying in Tuscany

Can someone tell me what the deal is with so many, something like 80% of all Tuscan rentals, being check-in Saturday to check out Saturday.

Is this a hard and fast rule with the owners? Can one negociate some other deal for a weeks stay?

Are the roads in and out of Tuscany jammed with tourists on Saturdays?

Thanks
Nov 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM

We have rented apartments in Desenzano, Florence...also in Barcelona and Lisbon. Yes, they generally want rentals from Saturday to Saturday.....probably because if they rented willy-nilly they would end up with a patchwork calendar and many vacant days. Also, they can hire someone on a regular basis (Saturday between checkout and checkin time)to come in and prepare the place for the next guests.

We find this pretty much SOP in Europe, so we just plan around it.

On the other hand you might try negotiating. If the two weeks covered by your midweek coming and going are going to be vacant they might give you a break. But this would probably have to be pretty much last minute.

Good luck.
Nov 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM

>>Is this a hard and fast rule with the owners? Can one negociate some other deal for a weeks stay?<<

Sabato-sabato is what they'd like to have of course (if they're fortunate enough to have the business). It is definitely NOT a hard-and-fast rule.

I suggest that you e-mail them with your preferred dates and, more than likely, you'll find what you're looking for...
Nov 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM

We rented an apartment in Montepulciano for a stay in November, arriving Friday leaving Wednesday. They were flexible because it's the off season and they had several apartments not rented.
Nov 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM

>>Is this a hard and fast rule with the owners? Can one negociate some other deal for a weeks stay?<<

Off season no, high season, yes.

Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM

I think sssteve meant to say you probably could not negotiate during high season. As far as roads jammed with tourists, I have not witnessed such but I usually travel in mid to late October each year.

You don't mention your aversion to Saturday check-in. Sometimes it is hard to plan around check-in dates and sometimes arranging a flight can be troublesome. It has always been easier for me to stay a few days in the city I fly into, usually Florence or Rome, before picking up a car and heading off to the house or apartment.

You can always ask the owner or rental agency for consideration.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Alajan -

you're right - I got it backwards!!