Apartment Rentals Tuscany/Chianti

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment Rentals Tuscany/Chianti

My wife and I will be traveling to Tuscany for the first time next May (1st week). We are interested in finding an apartment to home base from. Regions we are interested in are Chianti(Greve, Radda, Panzano, Castellina) & Val D' Orcia (Montalcino)

A one bedroom would be sufficient, nothing fancy $400/600 week. A farm would be nice for hiking and exploring, and close to a town or village to walk to for drinks, dinner, etc.

To all you Tuscany experts, am I dreaming on the price and list of expectations? Any suggestions would appreciated.

Turbokid

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM

It is feasible at that price.

You will find many Fodorite proponents of Il Poggiolo apartments in well-located Montepulciano.

(The site is www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it)

They have larger apartments and very recently renovated studio units -- the latter are spacious and go for as little as 500 E per week in high season, less in low season.

La Foce is an estate a few miles closer to the Val d'Orcia with units both large and small. Their small units, in a fine country setting, look fantastic but cost a bit more than you proposed to pay.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Try looking for rentals at www.tuscany.net. This site is part of the worldby sites that I have used many times in Italy (have booked a castle, 2 apartments, and a few hotels). Great detail about places available including numerous photos and maps/directions.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Tuscany.net is good to fish, but I like the real people reviews at slowtrav.com
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM

turbokid,
http://www.lacrociona.com/ meets your requirements.

The above is a wonderful vineyard about 3 km outside Montalcino. You will
need a car but there are many little towns very close (within a half hour)
Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Sant Antimo, Monte Oliveto
Maggiore, Buonconvento, Murlo. The driving is easy and the food and wine in each town is special. If you want more information e-mail me.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Only you can decide what you really want, but while the idea of a "farmhouse" in the country in Tuscany sounds appealing, the thought of driving into a town and driving back a narrow right at night after bottles of wine is not! We loved our apartment at the above mentioned al poggiolo. Sitting on our private terrace looking out into the countryside, we could have been in the country. Yet right out our front door we were only steps from the variety of restaurants of Montepulciano -- the best of both worlds. The apartments are amazing bargains.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:01 PM

You might enjoy Terre Melazzano above Greve in Chianti. It is clean and pleasant; the manager speaks English, French, Italian, German and probably several other languages; they have free Internet access; they have a lovely pool; the views are to die for and you actually can walk into Greve. Be warned however, that the walk back is definitely straight up a hill. We didn't have any trouble driving back at night. The road is fine.

Their web site is http://www.terredimelazzano.it/index.htm

Greve in Chianti is right in the middle of Chianti and perfect for visiting everything you want to see. It is also in your budget.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM

There are several places listed on the Greve web site within your range - www.greve-in-chianti.com - some of them advertise that they are either in Greve itself or within easy walking distance. There are numerous restaurants in Greve and if you have a car there are even better ones in the country round about.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM

In Chianti area, we thoroughly enjoyed staying at Poderi Val Verde, and it was very economical. http://www.chiantivilla.com/index.htm

We loved our apartment--Bella Vista.

This year, we are staying between San Quirico d'Orcia and Pienza at Cretaiole--because I have read many wonderful reviews of the place. It too is very economical. http://www.cretaiole.it/home.en.php