Staying in Traviso

Jan 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Staying in Traviso

We have a time share in Traviso Italy 4-5-09 to 4-11-09 We are going to Venice one night. Any suggestions on other close to go places. We are thinking about Sloviena. We will have a rental car.
We are flying into Frankfurt Germany and spending one night in Rottenburg Ger. on the way down.On the way back we will stay in Mittenwald Ger. Any suggestions would be wonderful!!!
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
LJ

Treviso is charming and about 20 miles (30k) from Venice. It is a little further from Padua which is also interesting.

Personally, I think you do Venice a terrible disservice by thinking of it as a one-evening destination. I would allow a couple of days to explore the city, even if that means no Padua. The train service back and forth will make this easier.

As to Slovenia, I think you will find that there is way too much to explore in the immediate vicinity of Treviso/Venice/Padua to even dream of getting any further.

Jan 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Hello strube, do note that it (the city where you have the timeshare) is spell T-r-e-v-i-s-o. Just mentioning in case you do some research on the web so that you use the correct spelling.

Have you been to Venice before? If not with the time you have in Treviso I too would encourage you to spend more then just one evening in Venice. You no doubt know that there is the train station in Treviso so it is quite easy for you to get to the Santa Lucia train station in Venice proper.

Other suggestions, just north of Treviso is the small city of Congeliano which is quite pleasant. The Castle of Congeliano is above the small city, there is a curvy road that you drive up. You will have a beautiful view of the countryside and all the way to the Dolomites. There is a cafe there too and I think it will be open by April. Downtown has a nice shopping center with small lovely shops.

Just a bit north of Congeliano is Vittorio Veneto. Have you seen the movie "In Love and War"? It was filmed in Vittorio Veneto and is about the romance between Ernest Hemingway and a Red Cross nurse which inspired him to write "A Farewell To Arms".

Just further north of Vittorio Veneto is the beautiful lake (lago) S Croce. There is a restaurant at the south end that overlooks the lake which you might enjoy.

And west of Treviso is Castelfranco. You could visit there and continue on to Asolo. Between Castelfranco and Asolo you will be on a country road with beautiful scenery. You could also visit Castelfranco and continue on to Bassano d Grappa.

You are really staying in a lovely section of the Region of Veneto which is not overrun by tourist.

The residents where you will be are quieter and more reserved compared to other parts of Italy but they are very nice, very polite and will enjoy making suggestions so you can appreciate their area.

If you do not have one I would suggest you get a good map. I hope you will give us a trip report as personally I would love to read about your trip as that area is like my home away from home.

Anyway, just a few ideas for you to pursue. I know you will have a lovely trip! And don't forget to order their Prosecco wine, it is the original Prosecco wine.
Jan 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys however we are staying in Traviso not Treviso it is located 2 to 3 hours from Venice near the border of Austria,Italy and Slovenia that is why we were interested in visiting Slovenia and will be only able to stay one night in Venice Any day trips from TRAVISO would be appreciated information.
Jan 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Do you have a map link for Traviso? There is no Traviso showing in Italy on mappy.com. By googling, I find people interchanging the spelling of Treviso (which is in the general are you describe) as Traviso (perhaps a German spelling?). What is the name of the time share?
Jan 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry the spelling is Tarvisio and is located where I said So again any help with day trips from our location is appreciated Thanks
Jan 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Oh, well a letter or two in a spelling of a name does make a difference. Wishing you a lovely trip and I hope some Fodorite can assist you.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM

You might check the driving time from Tarvisio to Trieste on mappy.com or viamichelin for a daytrip.

I'm not sure you will be allowed to take your rental to Slovenia (ask the company you are renting from).