Staying in Edinburgh/Leith

Feb 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Staying in Edinburgh/Leith

We are travelling to Edinburgh over the new year's holiday and have found lodging north of New Town in Leith at the Sheridan Guest House - from what I've read it's a reasonable walk to major sights and attractions and an easy bus ride. I'm wondering if this will be any different over the Hogamany period - will buses still run regularly and is it generally too windy/cold to walk far? Does bus service run 24 hrs? Is it a safe walk from Leith into the city center at night?

Has anyone had any experience staying in this area? The inn looks really nice and we're not terribly concerned with being in the center of everything, but don't want a huge hassle getting around.

Thank you!
Feb 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM

It is about 3 miles from Leith to Princess Street -- all pretty much uphill. I certainly would not walk it in Dec /Jan- but I'm a bit of a wuss.

I'm not sure about the buses - there are a couple of Edinburgh residents on here who will know for sure. I usually stay in the city center and only take the buses now and then.
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM

It's a good 30 minute walk to anywhere but Leith. Nothing wrong with that, you understand but it's NOT central.

On Hogmanay the buses will run all night.

Generally, Edinburgh has a night bus service. You'll find the details herebr /> http://www.nightbuses.com/

Generally it's safe to walk. There are bits of Leith you might like to give the go-by, but you'll know themm when you see them and you're not IN Leith. You're in a nice safe residential neighbourhood.

Taxis in Edinburgh are frequent and relatively cheap
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM

For me is not at all "a resonable walk", and do not forget that you have to do it at least two times per day, if not four!
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM

It's actuially more like 2 miles from Leith to Princes Street but as Sheila says, this guesthouse is not really in Leith - I'd call it more like Ferry Road/Newhaven. (I live in Leith !)

Apart from the pubs & restaurants of Leith itself, you will be a short walk from the former royal yacht Britannia - c.10-15 mins.

But the number 11 is a very handy bus route to be on and it's one of the more frequent - every 10-15 mins during the daytime and every 30 mins in the evening until c.11.30pm. It runs right along Princes Street. Apart from the night of Hogmanay itself, it will get you around just fine. There is also a night bus, the N22 which passes about about a 15-20 minute walk away - but are you likely to want buses after midnight, other than on Hogmanay ?

On Hogmanay itself, the night buses are supposed to run (but diverted round the city centre) but you'd be lucky to get on one. Though at least it is a downhill walk home.

You can never safely predict what the weather will be like but I certainly didn't want to walk anywhere this last New Year.

Sheila : "Taxis in Edinburgh are... relatively cheap" ?!?!? I think they are really expensive !! I haven't even dared get one since I moved to Leith, but from town to where I used to live was about £11-12 !