Staying in Cinque Terre

Search

Staying in Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Cinque Terre

We are flying into Nice in April and leaving from there. Two nights in Genoa and then on to Cinque Terre. We will be driving through Tuscany. Where should we stay in Cinque Terre? We know we have to leave the car parked. It would be nice to be able to park the car at our hotel.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Nancy:
We enjoyed staying at Villa Steno...yes, people,I know, Ricky-boy Steves' recommendation..so what? The peripatetic guy does hit a homerun every now and then..and this is one. It's a very comfortable 3* hotel with beautiful views over the sea even though it is back a mile or so, but on a hill. Very friendly and accomodating owner and son, Matteo. Plenty of room to park your car on the property. Try to get the front room with a little view terrace and a lemon tree...I think it was #5.

Check it out. Enjoy!

http://www.villasteno.com/en/

Stu
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought, if you don't want to struggle with parking in the Cinque Terre villages, you could stay in Santa Margherita Ligure which is about an hour north of the villages by train. SML is a lovely seaside town, we really enjoyed our few days there. You could leave your car at your hotel, hop on the train to the CT village you'd like to start hiking from, spend the day in the area walking, eating, train from village to village, whatever, then train back to your hotel.

Kay
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 12:50 AM

You didn't ask and you may already know this, but if you are driving a car into Genova, you need to get explicit directions from your hotel about how to avoid "ZTL" areas, or the "Blu Area." If the hotel says that it will clear your license plate number with the local police so you can drive in restricted areas without penalty, make sure you follow up on that to ensure that it was done. I would even request something from the hotel saying they did it, or meander over to the nearest police station and double check.

Not all hotels are located in ZTL areas, so it may not be an issue with you. But before you drive anywhere in Genova, or out of Genova, make sure you know which areas to avoid, during what times of the day:

http://www.bluareagenova.it/it/ztl/la_mappa.asp
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is an attended pay parking lot by the water in Monterosso. We left our car there for three days.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Yes, the big lot in Monterosso is a good option. But, with a car, you can also stay in Portovenere which is our favorite village on that entire coast.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:59 AM

I strongly agree with Stu Tower's recommendation for the Villa Steno. As Stu noted, fabulous views and the owners are great. I parked the car there once I arrived and never moved it until I left. I haven't been to SML or Portovenere so can't speak to that.
It's a pretty small place and April is a busy time so it's good to make reservations as soon as you decide.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

You are all so kind. Great advice. Thanks
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Stayed in Villa degli Argentieri in Monterosso with the (large) town car park outside the door.
Nice view if you get a sea view room - but the first floor rooms have their view blocked by the trees outside.
Miky's restaurant is almost next door - if you like your seafood........worth the effort to get a table.