day trip to cinque terre by car

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip to cinque terre by car

Amongst the various options that we are considering for July, is to leave Rome by car and arrive in Lucca, sight-see the balance of the day, sleep overnight, and leave the next mid-morning for Rapallo.

On the way to Rapallo, we are considering spending the day in Cinque Terre - brief hike between the first 2 towns (we are not exactly fit 50 year olds, but still want to experience the walk), and spend the balance of the day around the beach area of Monterosso, before dining (at Miky's?? - comments or suggestions invited, please)and leaving to drive toRapallo.

My main question relates to the sensibility and safety of leaving our bags in the car at Monterosso while we are spending the day in the area.

Normally I would reach a destination, leave the bags at a hotel, and sight-see etc., as opposed to going from one area, and stopping in a second before reaching our final destination (and hotel for the evening) in a third.

How safe are bags generally when, and if, leftin the Monterosso parking area, and by the way, where is the Monterosso parking area?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM

Sounds like you've already decided on the Lucca and Rapallo parts of your itinerary. Given that you won't be spending the night in the Cinque Terre, a day trip is better than none at all!

I can't give you advice on the safety of leaving your bags in your car. The public parking lot in Monterosso (or was, the last time I was there about 5 years ago) is on the beach. As I recall, there is an attendant there, and being right on the beach, the cars are right out there in the open, so it's better than your car being in some dark, subterranean location.

You can definitely enjoy the walk between Monterosso and Vernazza. I think the most interesting part is the beginning, anyway, where you get to make your way in between the villagers' kitchen gardens, olive trees and grape vines.

The part I would question is leaving Monterosso and driving back up the mountain in the dark. What with the time the restaurants open for dinner, even in July, it will be dark after you've finished eating. The road up from Monterosso is narrow, twisty and somewhat steep. You might consider drinks (not for the driver) and antipasti, rather than dinner. I remember a place in Monterosso that had outdoor seating and all sorts of antipasti, though unfortunately, I appear to have not written down its name.

If you do stay for dinner, we've enjoyed le Ristorante Belvedere, which has the advantage of being, basically, on the beach, but the disadvantage of being under the railroad tracks. But I love their marinated anchovies!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM

Their are two parking lots in Monterosso: One at the top of the village with a shuttle service down the mountain to the beach area, and one on a parking jetty that juts out into the sea (about 50 yards from the train station along the boardwalk in the "new" part of Monterosso).

There is a security guard at the jetty lot, but I don't know if there is any security at the lot above the town.

There are also usually "tons" of cars parked along the edges of the already narrow, steep and winding roadway that leads down into the town.

July is heavy tourist season. There is no "guarantee" that you will find an available parking spot upon your arrival. On a Sunday afternoon in March, we waited 1 1/2 hours for a space to open on the jetty lot.

The Cinque Terre is anything but "undiscovered".

Lex gave you good advice---You don't want to drive the road from Monterosso back to the autostrada after dark.

If you have your "heart set" on stopping in the Cinque Terre on your way to Rapallo, I would leave the car in Levanto (the next town north of Monterosso) and take the train. The train ride between the towns is 4 minutes. The hair-raising car ride is about 20 minutes. If you get behind a bus or a truck, it could take longer.

Since Levanto is less touristed, I believe your luggage should be safe in the vehicle.

Another option would be to take the 52 minute train ride from Rapallo to the Cinque Terre once you are settled in and have a full "free" day to spend in these lovely villages.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM

Does all your luggage fit in your trunk? If so, I wouldn't worry about it terribly.

Rapallo and CT are not that far apart. If it would give you peace of mind, drop of your bags at your hotel in Rapallo before you go to CT.

Friends of mine (with good taste buds) who stayed a week in Monterosso al Mare pronounced Miky the best restaurant of their stay. The advice about skipping alcohol with dinner is excellent and necessary, although driving at night on winding roads in Italy is often simpler because you can see the headlights of oncoming cars for quite a distance. But alas, the edge of the cliffs are harder to see!

For what it's worth, I daytripped into CT (on the train line) and did the 30-minute "Lover's Walk" and actually hated it! It's covered with chain link fencing, has a lot of concrete, and while I get the point of all the honeymooners spraypainting their initials and names on the concrete walls, graffitti just kinds looks like graffitti everywhere.

What I did enjoy doing was walking straight uphill in Manarola, which most tourists don't bother to do. Away from the tourists, the village is quite serene and peaceful, and there is still some authentic Italian village life up there. I'm just guessing, but I would imagine it's the same in all the villages. If you can get away from the tourist mobs (walking up uncomfortably steep grades and stairs is usually the way) it's probably always rewarding.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM

PS: Advice about taking the train from the nearby town is a very good one. Also remember that you can get a boat to CT from Portovenere (and maybe other towns. The boat stops at each of the towns in turn, and seeing the CT from the water is a great view of it,