Reload this Page >

staying in av Diagonal, is that a good idea

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Alia

I am interested in staying in a pleasant area which is close to shopping area and nightlife. we do not want to stay in rambla because of the noise and all the bad things we've heard about it. what about av diagonal?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:17 AM
John G

I think the Passeig de Gracia is the best place to stay in Barcelona. It is close to the Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, is quiet and lined with pretty trees.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Debbie

I thought the Ave Diagonal was a nice area but was pretty far from things. I was in Barcelona by myself for a few days in June and had no problem at all on the Ramblas. I am not sure what problems people refer to there but I had no noise problems at night and no problems with pickpockets.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:55 AM
Kris

Av Diagonal was pretty remote but accessible by subway.<BR><BR>The area just north of Placa Catalunya was nice (same area as Passeig de Gracia), we stayed at the Hotel Granvia several years ago and really liked that area. I thought this area was the best one we've stayed in. Close enough to walk to Las Ramblas but on nice tree lined streets.<BR><BR>Staying on Las Ramblas also wasn't bad. It wasn't noisy at night, we didn't have trouble with pickpockets and never felt unsafe.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:24 AM
Jean Valjean

Just keep in mind that Diagonal is a VERY long street that crosses most of Barcelona.<BR><BR>If you stay at the "top", near the sea, it is not very nice. If you go further south, it becomes much nicer. I would say that the area between Passeig de Gracia and Josep Taradellas is great for staying. From Josep Taradellas to Gran Via de Carles III it becomes a shopping and business area.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:30 AM
Capo

Kris, we stayed at the Granvia a couple years ago too, and really liked both it and the area. <BR><BR>Alia, the part of the Diagonal that Jean mentioned would be fine, but you might also want to consider the part of the Eixample between the Gothic Quarter and the Diagonal, the area around Passeig de Gracia.