Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay overnight in Mykonos or take a chance on the ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2022, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a flight from Naples to Mykonos on August 29 and I am wondering if we should stay overnight in Mykonos or head straight to Naxos?

The flight gets into Mykonos airport around 2:30 PM.

There is a ferry from Mykonos to Naxos at 17:05.

We are staying in Naxos already from Aug 30 to Sep 3.

Wondering if I should take a risk that I can catch the 17:05 ferry and reserve an extra night in Naxos?

I guess I could get trip insurance if there's a snafu, right?

We've been to Greece three times but never to Mykonos. We have kids and don't mind spending one night there but it would probably make more sense just to head to Naxos. Mykonos is expensive and my husband gets very grumpy when we change hotels. But I don't want to risk paying for two hotels.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 10:59 PM

If your flight from Naples arrives on time that should be enough to get to the new port for ferry departure, even with the queues for taxis at Mykonos Airport. On the other hand, your trip insurance won’t help you find a room at short notice if you miss the ferry.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 11:37 PM

Since you haven’t been there, a night on Mykonos would be nice, IMHO. The kids might enjoy a walk around the windmills and a pool for the evening.

It would also depend on which ferry you were getting. If it is one that takes longer, I might stay over and wait until morning and get a faster one.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Mar 6th, 2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 12:09 AM

The ferry is Paros Jet, one of the larger Sea Jets highspeeds, the trip scheduled for 40 minutes. Sea Jets has a reputation of running late, which might be of help, but this one is on an afternoon run from Rafina, with Tinos the only stop before Mykonos. Were it me I would double-check the timetables at the start of the season, say in early June, because Sea Jets has a habit of publishing timetables early, and then changing them later.

I agree with Sassafrass that a night on Mykonos would be nice. If you book a late ferry the next day you would even have time for a day trip to the archeological site on Delos, something worth going to Mykonos to see. Both times I’ve been to Delos I’ve taken the 09:00 boat from Mykonos Old Harbour and a return boat around lunchtime.

Last edited by Heimdall; Mar 7th, 2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall and Sassafras. Always so helpful.

Sounds like it might make sense to spend one night in Mykonos. The day will have already featured a 9:45 AM flight from Naples with a stop in Athens. I'd prefer not to stress out hoping the flight to Mykonos arrives on time. We could get in, check in, walk around the town, see the windmills, get up leisurely, maybe the kids could hop in the pool in the morning and then mosey on over to Naxos. I

But where in Mykonos? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I think we could spend up to 300 euros for something with a pool (our hotel in Naxos is 220 euros but there's no pool). I went to booking.com and got very overwhelmed with all the choices. Some are very, very expensive!

What's the airport scene like in Mykonos? Do we have to take a taxi or are there buses? Where would we want to stay with the idea that we don't want to get a car and plan to depart on the ferry in either the late morning or afternoon?

This is our trip
Aug 24 Leave Boston
Aug 25 Arrive Naples (via Dublin)
Aug 26 Naples & area
Aug 27 Naples & area
Aug 28 Naples and area
Aug 29 Leave Naples 9:45 AM. Arrive Mykonos at 2:30 PM
Aug 30 Naxos
Aug 31 Naxos
Sep 1 Naxos
Sep 2 Naxos
Sep 3 Naxos - take ferry to Athens (or flight but I think the ferry is more charming)
Sep 4 Athens
Sep 5 Athens
Sep 6 Athens - leave for Boston via Dublin at 13:55
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 08:26 AM

I have arrived in Mykonos several times on similarly timed flights, enroute to Syros, Paros or Naxos. Always staying 1 night on Mykonos.
Quite simply it is the safest and no worries option.

The downside of that is of course the price of an overnight on Mykonos the most expensive island in Greece. Availability is also difficult any recommendation will result in almost no availability.

It pays to do some rather lengthy research on hotel locations.

Personally I have always managed to book a hotel in Mykonos town or on the edge every time. Second choices being the Tourlos/Ag. Stephanos areas which are close enough to walk to the ferry port. Possibly Ornos bay area though that is further away from the port, but if hotel povides transport can be a good option.

Whilst there is a bus service from the Airport to Mykonos town it is not that frequent and may not be convenient for some hotels.
As you are a family it is far easier to just use a taxi to the door. There does tend to be a long wait at the Airport for a taxi, people going to the port for the various ferries are having heart attacks, the rest just chilling out....