Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Priceline areas should I take a chance on bidding for?

Oct 19th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I want to be close to the British Museum, Westminster Abbey and Tower of London. I have somewhat of a mobility problem so I'll probably relying on taxis instead of the tube (maybe limited buses). It wouldn't hurt to be close to a BritRail station.

The Priceline areas are listed below. The more I choose,the better chance I have for a winning bid, but I don't want to end up in the boonies. On BiddingForTravel; I noticed somewhat had a winning bid of $75/night at the Novotel Euston by expanding her bid to Bloomsbury AND Mayfair; is this something I want to do??

Here are the Priceline areas:

Bloomsbury - Marble Arch
Hammersmith
Kensington - Earls Court - Knightsbridge
London Bridge
Mayfair - Soho
Notting Hill - Bayswater
Regents Park - Baker Street
The City - Financial District - Islington
Westminster

Thanks for your help.
Oct 19th, 2005, 12:22 PM

speaking strictly for myself, I would bid only on the following areas
Bloomsbury-MA
Mayfair-Soho
Knightsbridge
Westminster

I think biddingfortravel should give you some idea what the usual hotels are for each neighborhood.
I normally would include Kensington, but I don't want Earls Court which they have shrewdly attached to it.
Oct 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Elaine. Using the British Museum as an example, how many miles could I end up away if I end up in one of the other areas?

By the way, just how expensive are London cabs these days, anyhow?

Oct 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM

To me, it's not just miles or Tube connections, 'though those are important, it's also neighborhood charm.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I recently found a four star hotel for $100 (Crowne Plaza - London, the City) through Priceline. It's, obviously, in the City area you mentioned. Very close to the Thames, St Paul's, Tower of London, and Westminster Abbey. Check it out.

Bob
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
rex

May I politely invite you to read my response on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34693680

Thanks... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Referring to our bus map of central London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

...you will see that the Tower is out by the river at the east end of the City, Westminster is on the river at the center, with the museum due north of it. The rail stations are on the side of town where the lines run: Waterloo to the southeast, Euston to the north, and so on. Another spiffy map is this:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/tourist.pdf

Notice that you can get from just about anywhere to anywhere else without changing buses more than once. To get from any location to another by taxi will probably cost £7-10. I would suggest trying for Bloomsbury, Westminster, and the City. I don't think being near a rail station should enter into your choice.

If you can negotiate getting on and off buses, the price of a pass is hard to beat: £3 for one day or £11 for 7.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM

"British Museum, Westminster Abbey and Tower of London."

You can't be close to all three. They stretch almost the entire extent of tourist London. The Tower area (the cirty) isn't that great an area. Mostly financial. Bloomsbury, the museum area is chancey for hotels. The best bet is Westminster or Mayfair. Mayfair is the most expensive, generally.

The main thing, is never go below 4 stars.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex, I should have specified London in the title. In my defense, the Fodor's setup can be quite confusing. I thought I had made sure when I posted my question it was for the United Kingdom forum, but I see it pops up under Europe. I can see how readers such as yourself get confused (and annoyed . Thanks for the tip.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM

For absolute certainty, particularly in your case with mobility issues, I'd suggest Mayfair-Soho only. Many areas are fine if can take public transit, but Mayfair-Soho is the most central.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Ah don't worry too much about your header. Lots of people think they are posting to a specific board (such as the UK one) but most people read the Europe forum in its entirety.

The best thing is to bid on just one zone for your first bid and then add your other acceptable zones one at a time as new bids.

Alternatively, you can even start a completely new bid by shutting down your browser, starting again and selecting just one new zone and not including your original zone.

Each time you do this it will be a separate bid, allowing you to alter the price if you wish.

There is lots of Priceline information on www.biddingfortravel.com. There's another site which is growing all the time with Priceline information called www.betterbidding.com.

You will see lots of people are getting the Thistle Marble Arch for $75 and below (I'be even seen $55 wins although that's rare). However this hotel doesn't seem to satisfy your other criteria all that well.

Before you decide Priceline is definitely for you, I would take a look at the above sites mentioned, look at the London hotel wins/lists and check you would be happy with any hotel offered in the zones and star rating you are looking at.

I think something like the Thistle Charing Cross would be good for you. This comes up occasionally as a 4* in the Mayfair-Soho zone at a reasonable price (although I haven't seen it as low as the Thistle Marble Arch above).
Oct 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Your header could be better - but don't worry - as you see LOTS of knowledgable folks have read your thread. Just remember for your future threads - there isn't any UK (or France or Italy, etc) forum. Just a general Europe board where you can search for threads by specific country. All threads are on Europe - but only SOME UK threads are located by clicking on "UK".

As for your basice questiosn - as others have said the three places are nowhere near each other so you can be close to all (or even two) of them. The more central you can be the better - it will shorten all your bus/taxi journeys.

You really could not go wrong w/ any property in the Mayfair/Soho zone. Westminster zone is also very good - it is very central and close to several mainline stations including Victoria. Since from one of your other threads you are coming into Victoria from LGW - Westminster would be a goos option.
Oct 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM

sheesh - I hate it when I do that!

Should read " . . .the three places are nowhere near each other so you can't be close to all (or even two) of them."
Oct 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, spiff...I went up to $100 on Priceline for a 4-star in Mayfair or Bloomsbury, with no luck. I checked and the Thistle hotels are all way out of my pathetic league for my trip dates. There must be something going on in London the first week of November to make rates pretty competitive. I was surprised to find out that I now have to wait 72 hours to place another bid with Priceline; it used to be 24.

Unless I try again in 72 hours and decide to knock it down to 3 stars, it looks like I will end up at the Royal National (gulp). I'm sure I'll have a humble but wonderful time. At least it's in a great location.

Thanks, everyone! I learned a lot today, about London AND about posting messages.

Oct 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Epilogue...

I had forgotten one of my Priceline rejections contained a counter-offer of $98 for 4-star in Bloomsbury (which was interesting, since I bid $100 and it was rejected 10 minutes later). Anywho, I took them up on it and turned out to be...tah dah...the Thistle Marble Arch. It's an okay but not spectacular deal, but at least it's off my head and I have a nice place to sleep.

Now I just have to find a place for free wi-fi (I called and the Thistle doesn't have this; at least the Royal National had two areas for it, plus cheap dial-up, which the Thistle doesn't offer).
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:30 PM

For future reference, unless you were leaving shortly for London, you can usually beat a counteroffer significantly Priceline gives you. I would have waited 72 hours and bid a bit less (you didn't say what your bid was that got the $98 counter-offer).

For what it's worth, I got the Thistle Marble Arch on Priceline last month and really enjoyed it. I didn't find a full-time free WiFi hot spots but I didn't have the time to look hard. I did find that the Marriott across the street offers some sort of WiFi service that's not free, but they give you 24 hours free as a trial. I sat in the lobby of the Marriott one evening for about an hour using it on my laptop (actually just downstairs from the lobby in a comfy chair). There's a Starbucks east of the hotel on Oxford a few blocks that has T-Mobile Hot Spot that's not free - 18 cents a minute roaming if you are already a T-Mobile Hot Spot customer.

Andrew
Oct 20th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Hi San,
I got the Thistle Marble ARch for $95. Some of the Thistles are dreadful according to my husband, but this one seems ok. Not great but ok. Anyway, the location looks good so I am pleased. I go on Sat.
Cheers,
Jan
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I guess whether you think the Thistle Marble Arch is just "OK" depends what your standards are for hotels. It wasn't as nice as the Intercontinental I'd just stayed at in Prague, but I thought it was very nice and for the $75 I paid via Priceline last month, an amazing deal. I would be thrilled to stay at the Thistle Marble Arch again.

Andrew
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM

bookmarking
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM

The information in this thread (started in October 2005) regarding Priceline is probably outdated. For example, I don't think the Thistle Marble Arch is coming up anymore in London with Priceline. Check out BiddingForTravel.com and BetterBidding.com for more up-to-date information about Priceline bidding.