Stay in Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi?

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi?

For 3 nights enjoying the Amalfi Coast, which town do you think is best to stay in? Priorities are tastes of Italy and Italian ambiance.
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM

Hands down, we just loved Positano!! I believe Positano was on a recent cover of National Geographic Traveler. Although we were there in 2005, the Karen Brown recommended hotel that we stayed at for three nights still gets great reviews. It was Villa Rosa. It's across the street from the expensive Le Sirenuse Hotel. Dine at Le Sirenuse's restaurant, the room with 400 candles. It's all magical.

My friend stayed at Hotel California (yes, it's not the ideal name for Italy). She claims it was the hotel that Diane Lane's character stayed in the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.

Sorrento is a much larger city. You don't get the feel for the Amalfi Coast. Almalfi is nice, but more touristy than Positano. Visit Ravello and Amalfi, but stay in Positano.

We also took a boat from Positano for a day trip to Capri. We stayed three nights in Positano. You won't regret it.

We were there in March, so I would imagine it's crowded in summer.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM

Positano or Amalfi. This is probably one of the questions asked most often on this forum. I suggest you do a search and see what you come up with. For example:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...alfi-coast.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-home-base.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...w-oriented.cfm
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM

Amalfi is more touristy than Positano???

That is simply not true.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM

Positano, sorrento is just ok.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM

Praiano
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM

Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast; it's on the Bay of Naples. However, it's the most convenient place to stay if you plan to do trips to Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius, Capri and the AC.

Both Amalfi and Positano are on the coast itself. Amalfi's more of a real town with history. Positano is on a steep hillside, and is a smaller town, more upscale with expensive hotels and shops.

Another option is Ravello, which is inland uphill, not on the water, but has great distant views of the sea. But it's inconvenient for daytripping.
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM

o.k. I pick Sorrento. It really depends on tour travel style, what you like to do etc. If you search the forums you will find lots of discussion on this topic. There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on what you like.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I appreciate the input.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM

I'd pick Positano - we stayed at Le Agave - great hotel nice pool with sea views very nice rooms with patio's- it is nice and quiet there about 5 min drive into town. They also have a shuttle. It's also nice to stay right in town then everything is right out your doorstep. many hotels to choose from and lots to see and do. You can do day trips from here as well to AMalfi Ravello Sorrento, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:16 AM

Arizonaa:
We were there last september(there is a trip report);and enjoyed our stay in amalfi,almost perfect,good access to everything and more authentic than Positano.
Of course,Positano is beautiful,but more like a toy.
Anyway,you will have an unforgetable stay,this is for sure.Have a nice stay!!!(and let us hear from you when you are aback).
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:34 AM

Amalfi.....Positano is dull unless you love schlepping up and down hills looking in expensive shop windows. The beach is dark sand - not very attractive. Nowhere to walk to either- I found is claustrophobic. OK for one day but more- no!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM

Sorrento isn't on the Amalfi Coast, so if your goal is to enjoy the AC definitely Positano or Amalfi (very different although I'd hesitate to say one is less touristy or more authentic than the other - both with huge numbers of Anglo-American tourists and cruise ships belch out huge numbers in Amalfi) or one of the smaller towns along there. Sorrento besides not being on the AC is absolutely dominated by tourists, and full of places that offer English breakfasts, pubs etc - the least Italian ambience and taste of Italy to use your own criteria. We love the AC and have been there two of the last three summers, so I don't say these things as criticisms but as reality checks.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's true that Sorrento is dominated by English tourists, but Positano is dominated by American tourists. Both towns are touristy.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM

That's what I said - dominated by Anglo-American tourists and Amalfi just as much, not least because of the cruise ships. Positano, however, doesn't do the "English breakfast" etc type catering that Sorrento does. If you want an English breakfast and pub entertainment of course (which is perfectly legit if that's your preference), you should choose Sorrento.

I'm not sure I agree the Brits are in Sorrento and Americans in Positano - huge numbers of Americans in Sorrento too. Still plenty of Brits on the AC side too. The AC side however doesn't do the volume of UK package holidays that Sorrento does (I don't think...), and this may account for the different catering styles.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Any other input as whether or not to stay in Positano or Praiano - which one and why? Is there a better hotel that is more centrally located in Praiano then the one I mentioned, as someone noted it is removed from town?
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM

You have another thread on this subject with a few answers. You should continue your discussion there....
Old May 24th, 2016, 10:58 AM

I am looking to travel to the area in July with a girlfriend and our teenaged daughters. We hope to visit Capri Island, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast .... Looking for suggestions on a place to stay as a Hub that will make it easy for us to get around ... and would 5 days be enough time? Thanks, Angie
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM
ekc

5 days will be barely enough time to see what you want to see. You have waited very late to book, so where you stay will depend on where you can find availability. If you want to see Vesuvius, Pompeii and Capri, then Sorrento would be a good location. You will then have to do day trips to see the Amalfi Coast - via ferry is preferable although there are only 2 per day, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon.
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:46 PM

@ekc I am also planning on staying in either of these locations for the first week of August 2016. Your comment was a wake up call me for to start booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -