stay in Sorrento or Amalfi ?

Oct 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

stay in Sorrento or Amalfi ?

We are planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in September 2016 after two weeks in France. My first plan was to fly Nice to Rome or Naples depending on flights and then take a fast train to Salerno to catch the ferry to Amalfi. Then we thought of a train to Sorrento as more direct but missing the coastal views from the ocean. Not sure which would be a better base to day trip from to see Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano and perhaps Ravello. We plan on about 5 to 7 days.
Oct 22nd, 2015, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't take the train from Naples to Sorrento with luggage. Amalfi would be a better base for Positano and Ravello.
However, personally, we loved Sorrento and had beautiful views of The Bay of Naples.
Oct 22nd, 2015, 04:16 PM

We went to the Amalfi Coadt last year and based in Positano, which is the most beautiful city of all Amalfi, in our opinion. You can take the Ferry to all the other Amalfi cities from there. I would buy a home in Positano, if I could afford it. Lol. We did take a driver tour to the city, Amalfi, which was a fabulous drive, but we were stuck in a lot of traffic in Amalfi, so allow for that. But really fun seeing how close the cars are to each other and how crazy the drivers are. But never an accident. ����
Oct 22nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
kja

For the places you list, Amalfi would probably be better IMO. Take the train to Salerno, and then either a ferry or the bus to Amalfi.
Oct 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM

Almalfi seems like the best place for you to stay.

I would only say that the train from Naples with luggage, to Sorrento was an easy trip for us.

We did stay in Sorrento first.
Oct 23rd, 2015, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I think Amalfi will suit us well without the steep climb of Positano or the size of Sorrento. Can any one suggest a driver or car service to get us around out of our base?
Oct 23rd, 2015, 06:16 AM
WWK

You could stay at ground/beach level in Positano. No real need to climb stairs there unless you can't find a hotel further down in town.

Amalfi is more of a city than Positano, so I don't find it as beautiful or charming, but to each his/her own!

We used GUEMAR TRAVEL based in Sorrento for all our transfers to/from Naples-Positano, and also for a day trip around the coast.

Good luck!
Oct 23rd, 2015, 06:57 AM

For base to visit the coastal towns, I decided on Amalfi for my stay this past May and was completely happy with this choice. I took the ferry to Positano one day and the bus to Ravello the next, with a stop on the way back in Atrani where I could have spent more time. I liked the relative ease of getting around from Amalfi, that it was relatively flat, had a history as a maritime republic and as a center of the paper industry, a central piazza with an imposing duomo, and I loved the view from my hotel. I also stayed in Sorrento, which was convenient for visiting Capri and Herculaneum, and in Paestum, which I'd highly recommend if you have any interest in ancient ruins. I used Sorrento Cars, www.sorrentocars.com, to get around. Ugo was very responsive and offered the most reasonable prices of the several agencies I contacted.
Oct 23rd, 2015, 07:41 AM

We visited both cities while on a cruise and later returned to Amalfi. Salerno is certainly the best way to get there, and I don't think there should be a problem bringing luggage, and long as you don't overdo it.

Sorrento is nice, but Amalfi is a much better base to see Positano and Capri. You just hop the frequent ferry and are there in 30 minutes or an hour. Sorrento is a better base if you want to see Pompeii.
Oct 23rd, 2015, 07:42 AM

I made a mistake above. I meant to say we returned to Sorrento, not Amalfi.
Oct 23rd, 2015, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, the car service will be needed.
Any hotel suggestions for Amalfi?
Oct 23rd, 2015, 03:34 PM

Go to the Fodor's function, eckscrunchy wrote a detailed trip report on Amalfi
a few years ago which you should be able to find.
Oct 23rd, 2015, 04:19 PM

I enjoyed my stay at the Marina Riviera, save for the problematic wifi connection in my room. I booked about six months out; the rates climbed as spring approached. Here's the link to my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...aples-rome.cfm.
Oct 25th, 2015, 02:45 PM

we are here now in sorrento at the grand hotel excelsior vittoria. It is amazingly beautiful. There is a lift from the hotel that takes you right from the hotel to the boat dock below to take a 20min boat ride to capri. bus station 5 min away to take you to other towns. I can share more later but HIGHLY recommend this hotel.
Oct 25th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

After reviewing many suggestion and web sites, we think that Villa Felice Relais with a location removed from the main town but connected by SITA bus or the hotel shuttle affords a good price for an elevated view of the ocean and long view of Amalfi to the East. Has anyone stayed here or anywhere else that they love?
Oct 25th, 2015, 09:09 PM
ekc

Do not count on the availability of the SITA bus, even in September.
Oct 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Don't stay anywhere that relies on the SITA bus or worse, hotel shuttle.
Stay somewhere where you can walk into town. Those Amalfi hotels that are high up have beautiful views, sure, but shuttle times hold you to ransom. What if you want a nice long dinner somewhere but the last shuttle leaves at 9.30?
Oct 26th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunate experience suggests that out of 5 days, the transportation system may be on strike or out of service for 2 or 3. May seek in town lodging in Amalfi.
Any other hotel suggestions?

Search this Thread