Stay in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been discussed before, but I am still not clear on what to do. We have 4 nights to spend the third week of July. We have 3 young children (age 9 and 5yr old twins). Which would be more convenient, exciting , attractive to children? We will have a car. Also, is the weather much warmer in Lauterbrunnen because it is a valley? We are holding a room in the Hotel Staubbach in Lauterbrunnen and in the Hotel Residence in Grindelwald. I heard that Grindelwald has a public swimming pool that might be refresshing after hiking with the kids. Does Lauterbrunnen have a public pool? Thanks?
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:23 PM

IMO, there is no contest - Grindelwald wins hands down. Have you considered Wengen as well? It's smaller than Grindelwald, but car-free, which is nice - you park in Lauterbrunnen and take the train from there.

Wengen and Lauterbrunnen both have outdoor public pools, while 2 hotels in Wengen have private indoor pools (Sunstar and Park).

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:31 PM

I agree--Grindelwald--more to see and do for all the family.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM

I stay in the Dorint in Beatenberg and drive to the vills with the most sunshine - sometimes that means Zermatt, lol.
M
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Grindelwald, too. Did you opt out of the Hotel Gletschegarten?
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM

Good morning, have used the HOTEL SCHWEIZERHOF in Grindelwald a number of times in the past due to it having its own indoor swimming pool , other hotels in town may also have their own pools. Have noticed of the pools which we did use in CH, is that they are rather deep, start about 4 feet
in depth....Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

While the views from some positions in Lauterbrunnen are good, the town is relatively unexciting compared with Grindlewald. We stayed in Lauterbrunnen only once and would now go to Wengen as first choice, stay up the hill in Murren / Gimmelwald area as second choice or go to Grindlewald. We enjoy the rail system up through the valley from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:46 AM

I have stayed in Grindlewald, Wengen and Murren. All are excellent choices for nice places to enjoy the Jungfrau mountain experience.

In my opinion though, I like Grindlewald for the reasons that others have mentioned.

Quick access to and from mountain excursions.

A larger choice of resteraunt options.

More activity after the sun goes down in the evening.

If you want peace and solitude, then Wengen and Murren are your choices. You will not see big shiny tour busses with hordes of tourists in Wengen or Murren.

Grindlewald is my choice these days!!!

Gletchergarden hotel is wonderful hotel run by a couple, their daughter and son in law. Great food. Impeccably clean!!

Just my opinion based on my own experiences. Not saying that I am right, but that was right for me.

Ok, I am right!!!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your generous suggestions. It looks like Grindelwald wins. Maitaitom: I did not end up booking the Gletschergarten. they were way more expensive than other hotels. I hope I don't regret it. We are probably going with Hotel Residence. It has been pouring th last few days in Grindelwald. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do in the rain?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Take a long daytrip to Thun or Bern, someplace with arcaded streets and a museum or two. J.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Grindelwald!
We've been to Grindelwald about 6 times in the last 2 years - all since my daughter was born.

We've stayed at the Hotel Residence each time - the first time by luck, the next 5 because we loved it. Great value, great location, and great restaurant. Try to get the apartment on the 4th floor. It was just remodeled, and it is great for families. Kitchen/living/dining area, double bedroom, plus a big bedroom with 3 single beds and loads of windows. 2 bathrooms. The view can't be beat.

We usually take our BabyFone and eat downstairs after our 2 year old has gone to bed - but with older kids you wouldn't have to do that. Eat in the hotel restaurant - the daily Menu is a 4 course meal that has been wonderful each time. A welcome change from Rosti and Wurst.

As for kids - Grindelwald does have the pool - free entry with your guest card from Hotel Residence. They have water-wings there at the lifeguard office to borrow free. Take your own towel. Lots of shopping and eating opportunities, a playground at the i-punkt. Lots of trails to hike up and down, or, if you wish, to take the bahn or train to the top and hike down. A very neat day (high energy day!) is to take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, eat lunch, then hike up to the Eiger Gletscher station then down the Eiger Trail to the Alpiglen train station. If you don't get a full train pass, buy your ticket in Grindelwald for Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg then Alpiglen-Grindelwald.

You can hike all the way down to Grindelwald, but it would be long for anyone, especially the 5 year olds. The first mile is all UP - but after that it is pretty much downhill and breathtakingly beautiful. You get a bit of a thrill crossing some snow, and need to take care at the top, but it is an easy trail.

At Alpiglen there is a restaurant/biergarten that has a playground, farm animals, and icecream.

There is also a fitness trail off of the parking lot at the Hotel Wetterhorn - it goes through the woods and has different exercise stations. For a kid this would be fun, too, just because the trail is kind of neat (and short).

In town there is mini-golf, too. Hmmmm. What else - lots of train and bahn opportunities. Jungfraujoch is a great trip - a bit long, but nice - you can do that from anywhere though.

IMHO, Lauterbrunnen is boring compared to Grindelwald. Some guidebooks have panned Grindelwald as being touristy. It is, a bit, but only if you stay on the main street and don't venture from it. I found it nice to have a low-energy diversion from hiking and biking, and people watching was fun, too.

My daughter loved playing with all the kids at the playground and there was no shortage of ice-cream, grocery stores, and snacks.

That was a long answer... but we just got back yesterday so everything is still pretty fresh. I recommend Hotel Residence / Grindelwald to any of my friends and family who want to visit Switzerland.

Have fun!!!!
Helen

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Grindelwald, but ONLY because you have kids, and I think it is much more geared for families than Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren. Appararently, I'm in the minority here on Fodors, but Lauterbrunnen was so much more relaxing and serene. We stayed at the Hotel Staubbach (which was a little more barren than I usually like) for the AWESOME views and hiked daily, took the funiculars and travelled the area via the nearby train station. I only had Grindelwald on my itinerary because of a Rick Steve's fan's suggestion... it was not "Europe through the back-door," rather very touristy. That being said, all of the little kids I saw in this region doing little-kid things, were there on those busy tourist streets. Cars aren't even allowed in Murren or Wengen, so obviously they are proud of their 'less touristy' reputation, but I sure wouldn't call them boring!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"It has been pouring the last few days in Grindelwald. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do in the rain?"

A good rainy day endeavor is Trummelbachfalle (Trummelbach Falls). It's about a half hour drive from Grindelwald. You go up in a funicular and then climb a lot of stairs (I believe in my report it was a million stairs, but not really that many)

It is inside, so it doesn't matter what the weather is like outside. There are plenty of neat vantage points to see the falls. Not expensive and a fun way to spend an hour or two on a rainy day.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help. Helen, you have made me feel mare confident about my decision to stay at the Residence. I am now really excited about it. We are leaving for Europe this weekend, and this was a loose end I had to tie up before we leave. Where is "Alpiglen"? Also, have you been somewhere called the Blue Ice Cave? What is that like and how do we get there? I would like the kids to have the ice cave experience, but I am not sure we will make it up to the Jungfrau (maybe when the kids are a little older). We will definitely daytrip to Lauterbrunnen for its serenity and beauty, but we will stay in Grindelwald.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Alpiglen is a stop on the Jungfrau Railway between Grindelwald & Kleinescheidegg. When I was there a couple of times, years ago, the only residents of Alpiglen was Nebiker family who ran Cafe/Restaurant/Cheese making hut/inexpensive lodging (a few private rooms and a large dormitory style room for hikers). In summer, you could hike down from Kleinescheidegg to Alpiglen (then take a train to Grindelwald) but it may not be for your 5 y.o.twins. Their cafe/restaurant's terrase has a great view. It should not be Nebikers anymore today, as I understand.

By Blue Ice Cave, you don't mean the Ice Palace at Jungfraujoch? Ice Palace is an ice cave.

Other posters might already have mentioned buy if you are staying in Grindelwald, you should take cable cars to FIRST. Great view at the top over Jungfrau mountains and big Glaciers. You can also do a little walk (or a bit more serious hiking if you wish.). The cost is much lower than Jungrau trains.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Alpligen is also where one of the best hikes in the entire area begins. The Eiger North face hike.

Start at the trail just up from the restaurant and continue until you reach the Eiger Glacier station. You can either ride the train back down to KS or continue on foot either down to KS or Wengeralp on the other side and on the way down to Wengen.

I would not attempt this hike though unless the person is in adequate physical condition. A good pair of hiking shoes or boots is a must!

There are several hiking options

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Regarding Sunstar's post - you can also begin the same hike @ Kleine Scheidegg, hike up to the Eiger Gletscher station, then down to Alpiglen - much easier, same beautiful scenery. Better option for families than hiking up.

-Helen