Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Florence & catch the next day noon flight from Milan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:30 PM
John

On my return trip from Italy, I plan to stay the last night in Florence, and take an early train the next morning to Milan as my flight leaves the Milan Linate Airport at noon the next day.<BR><BR>Does anyone know: (1) when is the earliest train departing from Florence to Milan (2) how far is the train station from Linate Airport, and (3) how to get to the airport and train station? Thanks

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Howard

Why not fly from Florence to Milan? It takes less than an hour. We flew at 11. Perhaps there's an earlier plane. Check with Alitalia.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM
John

Thanks. Just didn't think about that, cause I thought it would cost much less by train. But if I catch a flight at least I'll be at the same airport. Thanks again.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Rex

I think that the connecting flight suggestion is a good idea, but you COULD do the train. The earliest eurostar service departs at 6:00, arrives at 9:20. You can taxi to Linate - - 7 km - - in a fairly short amount of time (the bus is cheaper, but the timing might not be right).<BR><BR>There's some more Linate info at http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/eng/linate/default.htm<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
Marilyn

Very risky, in my opinion. Train could easily be a bit late. Are you willing to get to Linate less than 2 hours early for an international flight? It's probably ok, but I'd be miserable from anxiety until I got to Linate.<BR><BR>We've had the same situation twice but took a late afternoon train from Florence to Milan (so we had most of the day there), spent the night in Milan and had a lovely dinner, and flew out comfortably the next morning.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
up

topping, for John<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:35 AM
John

Thanks. I think I will heed Marilyn's advice, and leave Florence a day earlier. Then I don't have to worry too much about catching a flight or train the next morning. I also believe that Florence flights go to the Milan Malpensa airport only, and since my flight leaves from Linate, I'll have to worry about going from one airport to another which may be quite far away. Thanks guys for all your help.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Howard

Sorry, John, I missed the comment that you were leaving from Linate and not Malpensa. Thus, you've made a wise decision to go the Milan the night before. If you get a chance, make sure you climb to the top of the Duomo is Milan.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Howard

Ooops, that second last word should be &quot;in.&quot;

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:58 AM
gac

If you have the time, visit the Brera Gallery and the Poldi-Pezzoldi Museum, both in downtown Milan.