Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Starting in Amsterdam, ending in London..Where should I go in between?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be leaving the 16th of July and figure to spend 3 nights and 4 days in amsterdam and probably 2 nights and 3 days in London. That leaves me a little over a week to travel to other cities around Europe. If I'm looking for a good time and vibrant night lifes where should I go? Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM

most will say Paris...
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
yk

Where else in Europe have you been to? Have you been to London and Amsterdam previously?

How are you getting to London?

My first thought is that you should add at least a day or two to London, unless you've been there before. And perhaps add one day to Amsterdam as well.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Unless you know London well I would add the extra days there. And 2 nights isn;t 3 dys n London - it's one full day and parts of 3 others. (I never undersstand how people don;t get that you can't count the same day as

1) a full day for Amsterdam
2) a day in transit
3) a full day in London

It can be only one of the above. Not all 3.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Recommendations will depend on where you've been before and what your interests are. I'd agree that you need a little more time in London if you've never been there before. You'll find yourself having quite a lot of fun in the evenings there and there is plenty to see and do during the day. If you're looking for something other than London, check out Copenhagen. Copenhagen is definitely young and hopping, but not the cheapest of destinations.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM

If you like great food and drink and a great mix of medieval history, art nouveau and modern zazz, I'd stop in Antwerpen.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/b...nightlife.html
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM

It depends upon how you want to travel around. If you are willing to fly, then I agree that Copenhagen would be a good choice, assuming you get there on a weekend. The nights start pretty late, but you can start early if you want at one of the open air bars on Nyhavn or a cocktail bar like Ruby Bar and end up sometime around 6 or 7 in the morning. During the week, I don't think you will find the same buzzing nightlife.

For a more pubby, but friendly scene, Dublin is a decent option.

Barcelona is always popular. I liked Madrid, too, but it can get hot that time of year.

For sheer, unadultered drunkenness, though, nothing beats London.

If you want some sightseeing thrown in, or to travel by train, then head from Amsterdam to Brugges, spend a few days, and head onto Paris, before taking the Eurostar onto London. Throw in Antwerp if you want cutting-edge fashion or diamonds.

And, FWIW, getting from AMS to London is easy. Book yourself on an Air France/CityJet or BA flight from AMS to London City (or vice versa), and you can do the trip in under 4 hours, city center to city center.