Stansted 12 hours

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:23 AM
Ian

Stansted 12 hours

I arrive Stansted 08.00 with out flight 18.00. What can one do/see near to Stansted without rushing in and out of London. I shall be travelling with my 19 year old daughter but am looking for something cultural and not theme parkish.
Thanks

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:37 AM
mr

Hi Ian,

I don't think there's an enormous amount of stuff to do by Stansted -- it's a bit in the middle of nowhere really. Maybe a day out to Cambridge would be nice? it's about 50 mins away by bus (www.GoByCoach.com). Not sure about trains, but I think they're regular and they might be faster.

M-R.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:23 AM
Dominic

Cambridge is an excellent idea... King College Chapel (actually a cathedral) is one of the most stunning ecliastical buildings in the whole of Europe. The colleges are all almost uniformly beautiful with lawns (The Backs) leading down to the R.Cam where you can hire a punt and leisurely picnic mid river - (tip: nip into Marks and Spencers food hall to get a quick and delicious picnic of sandwiches, rolls, cakes and drinks). It'll be neither too far or too exhausting to get there and is a quintessentially British experience. Most of us over here will agree its a far more pleasant city than Oxford. Oh yes and you might see a cricket match going on at Fenners which is where the Uni plays its matches. If so. another excellent place to have a picnic whilst someone tries to explain the ludicrous (but fascinating) sport to you.
Have a good trip!

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:04 AM
Lanny

Closer than Cambridge is the wonderful Saxon village of Saffron Walden -- perhaps 20 minutes from Stansted. With 14th century buildings like the Sun Inn which is now an antique store, and similar old buildings, plus a wonderful market in the town centre, and tea shops etc. there is lots to do in Saffron Walden and still be close enough to get back to Stansted easily by taxi in time for your flight. Cambridge is, by contrast, much bigger, and spread out, and once you've seen the university well what do you want to do next?

Lanny

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:51 AM
Dominic

Lanny:- agree Saffron Walden is indeed a great little town (aside: i find it funny that in the US where places with a population of barely 1000 get classified as cities Americans routinely term European towns of 10 or 20thousand as villages! I wish someone could explain that for me... that's not meant to be nasty, I genuinely am puzzled!) and it certainly is closer and only a longish taxi ride away.
However Cambridge University is not like most other universities but a collection of disparate colleges build throught its 600 year history so you have a vast array of architectural styles to go with... gothic, perpendicular, tudor, gothic revival, classical etc. And then I suggested two more relaxing things todo (this is a stop over after all, cant be doing too much) namely punting or watching cricket. There are certainly more and better restaurants in Cambridge at a wide variety of prices so probably all in all, IMHO a better bet for a day out than S.Walden (though the plasterwork designs in the latter are a favourite of mine which I detour through to see most times when driving up from Kent to the Midlands)

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Ian

Thanks so far - I will check out both even if I have already been to Cambridge myself. Dominic - look at my e-mail address ending - cricket is not ludicrous and it is not a sport but a way of life!

Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Lanny

Dominic, I guess I think of Saffron Walden as a village because I know it well, having been there 5 or 6 times visiting an elderly relative over the past couple of decades, and can walk to any point within its limits not needing a car to get anywhere. I realize it is not really a village, but its accessibility has always made it seem that way for me. As a Canadian living rurally south of our capital, Ottawa, 4 kms from the nearest (true) village, a place like Saffron Walden just seems like a nice sized place to me!

Apr 25th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sheila

Last time we did it, we went into London. It takes less than an hour on the Stansted Express