Search

St. Petersburg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Petersburg

Better go to St. Petersburg in July than May? Cruise will stay in St. Petersburg for 3 days.
Trying to avoid the crowd. Which months most likely have better weather?
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 11:19 PM

St Petersburg is hardly the mass tourist destination. If you are herded around in a tour group then you will be in a crowd no matter when. There are almost always lines for popular attractions such as the Hermitage.

I would not over think the weather, it is generally nice in May or it might still be a bit cold. July is better but more popular due to the white nights. Summer comes early to this part of the world.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM
kja

Odin gives you good advice (of course!).

3 days is VERY little for St. Petersburg. You will need to be very selective. I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see, note their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation and see how things fit together.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin and Kja for your great advices.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM

If you are coming off a cruise ship you will have to:

1. Take Tours with the cruise ship or

2. Hire your own private guide ( as I did)

3. If you do not have a Visa on your own and you probably do not because you are on a cruise ship , then you have to stay with the cruise ship group and guide OR with your own private guide.

4. You cannot go wandering around on your own without a Visa BECAUSE the Cruise ship or your Private Guide IS your Visa.

I was there is August, weather was great.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you cram as much as possible in and if you do you can actually see a great deal in only TWO days. I would hire a guide as it is worth the money.

As to so-called "avoiding the crowds" then I suggest you skip the Hermitage and a lot of other places...people, like YOU, go there for a reason. May might be a bit less crowded.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 10:22 AM

I agree with Dukey1, hire a guide , it is worth the money, you will see more.

The guide will steer you away from the crowds as much as possible and can get you into some "extra" places.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 11:10 AM

Percy gives you good advice. We were there on a cruise this past June (7th and 8th). We had great weather.
Assuming you don't have a visa you will need to take a tour. I would recommend using a private tour company and not the ship's tour. The ship is more expensive and you tour on large busses.
Private groups use smaller 15 person vans.
We used Alla tours and were extremely happy. Other tour companies have equally pleased clients. See tripadvisor.
These tours are not necessarily private. Most just require you to sign up and you are placed in a group. Of course if you want a small tour that can be arranged. Alla tours also showed us sites that were specifically requested.
Great cruise, enjoy it.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM

giro summed things up pretty well.

But let me just add that Alla Tours are very good. I had Alla.

You can have the tour as private as you want.

For example if there are four of you and you only want the four of you in a 8 passenger van....well you can have that BUT

the price is higher of course.

So Alla will try to reduce your price per person by asking you if you do not mind if other join your small group.

BUT the decision is all yours and not Alla's and Alla will tell you so.

When I went there were four of us and I booked the tour for us four.
I was okay with the higher price.

Then several weeks later on Alla e-mailed me and said:

"Percy there is this couple from Detroit that would like to join your tour, but it is entirely up to you."

I told her "okay they can join us".

Then about 2 weeks later Alla e-mailed me again and said :

"Percy there is a couple from New Mexico that would love to join your tour. I told them I would have to ask you first."

So again I said okay then I said " Alla cut it off here no more."
And Alla said " Okay for sure."

We saved about $ 120.00 per person by having the others join us.
I have to add that the people that joined us were terrific.

So your very own private tour at a higher cost unless there is 8-10 of you in the group....or have other join you , but it is your tour , you booked it , Alla is only trying to reduce your 2-3 day cost.

I wanted to pay Alla at the end of the first day of touring, but her tour guide said , "It's okay Percy you can pay me tomorrow."

I said, "What if I do not show up tomorrow.?"

She just smiled and said, "Oh Percy I think you will show up."

Enjoy St. Petersburg