Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to get in for an 11am tour but I'm wondering what exactly I want to make sure to see In St. Marks. I'm not worried about price but rather about time and the energy of my 3 children. We are definitely going to visit St. Mark's...do we want to see the treasury? the museum? Golden Alter? Anything we shouldn't miss. I love reading everyone's opinions....I've read lots out of books but find your info most valuable. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Honestly, I can't remember what you call it, but my favorite thing was going up on the roof area in front, overlooking the square.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM

What Sassafrass said. The "real" horses are upstairs too (inside) and you can also go outside and see fabulous views of the piazza and the lagoon. I think we went in on our own and don't know if it's included on a formal tour, sorry. Have a great time.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM

some info:
website for reserving a short visit to the Basilica (in Italian): www.alata.it
The Basilica also offers guided tours in English at 11am every day except Sundays. The tour concentrates on the mosaics (binoculars come in handy.)
Basilica San Marco: www.basilicasanmarco.it( there is also a link there for booking an entry ticket). Also, http://www.italyguides.it/us/venice_...s_basilica.htm
There is more than one way to book a tour, not only the sites above. Ask at your hotel if they will reserve an entry time for you, and bring the confirmation number to the entry door of the Basilica. Separate tickets with small fees are required to see the Pala d'Oro (gold and jeweled altarpiece), upper Loggia dei Cavalli, and the Treasury.The Treasury can be seen in about 10 minutes, but is skippable imo.
As others mentioned, I also love the Loggia (the outdoor terrace where horses overlook the Piazza). It’s worth paying the extra fee and climbing the steep stairway. The horses you see on the outside Loggia are copies; the originals, taken from Constantinople in the 1200’s, are upstairs also, but inside.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM

bookmarking
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Be there around noon when they turn the lights on and the golden mosaics are beautiful! The horses inside are fabulous.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much....