St. Lo/France/WWII

Search

St. Lo/France/WWII

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Lo/France/WWII

Hello. My father lost his two best friends in combat in St. Lo in July 1944. We would like to visit the area in Sept. Does anyone know of any guide services or information sources in St. Lo?
Thank you.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:22 AM
tmh

The peson I know in Ste Marie du Mont is quite a historian on the Normandy area. He may know a contact for you if he is not knowledgeable himself.

Contact Philippe Cornil through his website at www.lamaisondeshotes.com or [email protected]. Philippe was the guide/planner for the 4th ID's tour for the 60th Anniversary this past June and did a great job. He speaks english very well and has many contacts throughout the area. He also has contacts with the various regiments if your father was with the 4th ID.

Have you gone there before? Has your dad? I went this past June with the 4th ID and it was life-changing for me. Amazing...thank your dad for me and so sorry about his friends.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, tmh. My dad died in 1964. I have made three trips covering his route from Omaha Beach to the Battle of the Bulge. While we were able to do fairly well tracking him, St. Lo is a stumper because it is rebuilt.
I will follow up on your suggestion. Thanks again. I will report back when I return from France.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:06 PM
tmh

Hope it works out. I'm trying to find a decent (and trustworthy) tour in Dec for the 60th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge.

If Philippe can't help, I'd suggest researching the regiment either these guys or your dad was with. The 22nd Infantry Regiment with the 4th ID was at St Lo and also on the southern shoulder of the Battle of the Bulge. (Several of these veterans were on our trip in June and had first hand accounts.) The 22nd has a website - as many others do - that might offer additional contacts.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tmh. We went to Bastogne which has an interesting museum. As my dad was wounded and received a medal for the action there, we had the accounts of his movements from the citations. We did not use a guide. Sorry I cannot be of help on that. My dad was in the 654th Tank Destroyers unit under Patton and we did find a wonderful website with great information to help us.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
tmh

cmcfong

Here's a book I was planning to read: 'Beyond the Beachhead' by Joe Balkoski, ISBN 081172682 as recommended by a local military buff...it has 2 chapters on St. Lo from the 29th ID's perspective. Not sure where/if in print as it's online at my library in TX.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM

tmh, please keep us posted on your Battle of the Bulge findings, sounds very interesting.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, tmh. I will check around.