St. Goar Restaurant?

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

St. Goar Restaurant?

Anyone have any good recommendations for affordable, authentic German food in the city of St. Goar?
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM

On the outskirts of St Goar, on the upstream side of a camping ground, there is a hotel which overlooks the Lorelei and the Rhine. I'm sorry I can't remember the hotel's name but I ate in the associated restaurant and had pickled pork chop with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Is that style of food authentic enough for you? Further tip: If you decide to go in the evening, have a light lunch! The serving was huge. The hotel is a pleasant upstream stroll along the riverside from the town of St Goar. It should also be easy to find similar fare in the town: the whole area where restaurants are located there is about as big as your hat. The menus are posted outside, and Cuisine Nouveau is unknown!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:16 AM
JN

The restaurant Adeben is referring to is in the Hotel Landesknecht. It is a beautiful place, with great river views from inside or in the outdoor seating on the Rhein. Food and wine are outstanding. I would definitely recommend it.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Adeben and JN for the rec's.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Several years ago I arrived by train in St. Goar about noon and had lunch at the restaurant in Hotel Zur Post (it's next to the railroad tracks, just upriver from the Bahnhof and directly up a steep street from the K-D dock). I had lentil soup with small sausages (pretty authentic German) for €5,00 (affordable).

Hotel am Markt (www.hotel-am-markt-sankt-goar.de) is right on the corner of the market square, at the end of the pedestrian zone, near the boat docks. You can read their menu on the website.

There is an Asian and an Italian restaurant listed for St. Goar, but in general I would say that any small, affordable restaurant in Germany would have authentic German food (After all, it is in Germany. You almost have to go to an expensive restaurant to get other than German food.). Look at the menu posted outside. I ate once in Braubach and several times in Boppard. All were authentic German food and affordable. Oh, once, for a change, when I had become a little tired of German food, I went to a Turkish restaurant and had Kebob (their version of Giro).
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM

The Hotel Am Markt has great food and a lovely view from the outdoor tables.