Good eats in Heidelberg

Search

Good eats in Heidelberg

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good eats in Heidelberg

We are going to Heidelberg in September after coming from Oktoberfest.

Can anyone recommend some restaurant ideas that are mid priced and also a recommendation for a restaurant that is not to be missed for its ambiance, view or historical value.

We are staying at the NH hotel.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Anyone eat in Heidelberg lately???

Even a good pub would work....
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Heidelberg has a huge range of international options for dining and a wide range of prices as well. It's University has generated many many student friendly restaurants. We did eat at the Swan Restaurant, on the main street in the Alstadt and had some good local cuisine. Enjoy Heidelberg. It's a lovely town.

Have you seen this webcam? http://www.cvb-heidelberg.de/e566/index_ger.html
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Pausanias

We stayed at the Hotel zum Ritter St George a few years back, and had a very good meal in their restaurant. Can't remember which restaurant -- they have a couple, but it was fairly formal.

http://www.ritter-heidelberg.de/index_e.html

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Pausanias

Looking at the photos I'd say it was the Ritterstube.

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Here are a couple of nice restaurants in Heidelberg recommended by some of my friends... Ben http://bensbauernhof.com/favoritepla...neckartal.html
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM

I spend about 20 days a year in Heidelberg - all different times of the year. I just got back about 2 weeks ago from this summer's trip. What do you like to eat?

Vetters is pretty famous, and they've got a grill plate that is really good, especially if you're going to share it.

Any place on the main street, the Hauptstrasse is going to be great for people watching. Yes, there are a lot of tourist places, but to be honest, in 10 years of eating there, I've only had a handful of bad meals.

There are two Korean places in town, but Korea Sushi is much better than Mr. Wong's (Korea Sushi is all the way down the Haupstrasse and kiddy-corner across the big marketplace after the big church.

The Palmbrauhaus (sp?) is pretty good for Italian - they make a delicious pasta cabonara. It can be a bit pricey than other's though.

The Ritter (as mentioned above) is good, but is pricier than most. The dining room is really pretty, but not worth the prices in my opinion.

The Golden Sheep - again on the hauptstrasse is usually my first pick for German food. Very nice choices of places to sit. Around a big fireplace, at the windows, some private little rooms with tables, and, I've never sat back there, but I think there's a glassed in room at the back, or it could be a biergarden. Food is really, really good. I highly recommend the sauerbrauten.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] for more info. Just put something relevent in the subject line so it doesn't go into trash.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

There's another heidelberg website you can check out, but I'm not convinved the update it very often. www.e-heidelberg.com

Enjoy!!!! HD is one of my favorite places in the world.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will print this off and add it to my travel folder.

We are looking for typical German fare not too expensive. We are going to Iceland first and know that is going to cost a fortune!
Thansk