Rothenburg Hotel Restaurant Altfränkische Weinstube Questions

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:23 AM
JN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Restaurant Altfränkische Weinstube recently? If so, what did you think of the rooms, service, location? Was there parking nearby and/or could you drive to the hotel? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
JN
Original Poster

Buehler? ... Buehler? ... Anyone??
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Topping!!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Where in the old town was it located? We did not stay there on our Feb. 2005 trip, but the name sounds very familiar. I popped into a couple places so this might be one of them.
We stayed at Gasthof Goldener Greifen right off the market square and LOVED it. Favorite meal was at Restaurant Glocke.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
JN
Original Poster

Thanks to Wren for topping!

TxAg--it is north of the marktplatz, near St. Jakob's church and KlingenTor.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM

You are welcome, JN, but alas, I did have a selfish motive! I hope someone answers because I am interested too! Not much info on this place, but it does sound interesting!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM

I have visited Rothenburg several times. It is the most well preserved medival town in Germany. Very little damage due to allied bombing. Be sure to visit Kathe Wolfarht Chritmas Attic. The town is easily seen in one day. Everything is within walking distance. One tip don't eat at the Italian restaurant across from Kathe Wolfarht. I stayed over night in 2000 at The Golden Lantern (Goldenes Lamm) for about 90Euro. It is right on the town square. We were there last September again and there were private homes letting rooms with breakfast for 30 Euro per person.

If you go to St. Jacobs be sure to go upsatirs to the Altar of the Holy Blood. Beautiful gothic architecture.

My family loved the criminal museum.

Perfect photo op (but the road was under construction September 2005) can be seen at the Ploniein and Siebers Tower It is a "fork in the road" one leading off to the right to the Double bridge in the Tauber and the other lane leadingout to the suburb. The smal triangular space is beautiful for photos and can be seen in postcards and drawings around Germany.

The Spital Bastion is on the southern end of the town wall. It has two courtyards and seven gates. You can walk along the platform and look through the slits to get a view of the outer suburb and the impressive views of the ancient town. There are plaques commererating people from around the world who donated to rebuild the part of the wall destroyed during WWII.

The town is a shoppers delight but as I said not very large and won't take you too long to see.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:23 AM

<<Zydecoqueen states - I have visited Rothenburg several times. It is the most well preserved medival town in Germany. Very little damage due to allied bombing.>>

Anyone who thinks that Rothenburg missed the wrath of war need only to see this photo (link below) at Mayor Toppler's castle-home in the valley just below the castle gardens. This photo is displayed on the upper floor and shows just how bad a pounding little Rothenburg really took. Nazi's were holed up in Rothenburg thinking we wouldn't bomb it - but we did - and destroyed about 40% of the town with bombs and the resulting burning. A few weeks later when American forces approached Rothenburg it still would not surrender. An artillery barrage was planned to destroy the rest of the town but an American State Department attache (JJ McCloy) heard about the plan and stopped it. (All because his mother had visited Rothenburg in the 1920's and told him about the town and how neat it was). McCloy is credited with saving Rothenburg and was made an honorary citizen years later. Anyone who has contributed a certain amount of money to the restoration of the city - receives one of those little plaques you see set into the outer walls. I think the going rate nowadays is 1,000 Euro.

http://www.travelswithfriends.com/im...gh_LG_WWII.jpg
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:45 AM
JN
Original Poster

Wren:
I know Rick Steve's has recommended the Hotel Restaurant Altfränkische, but have not seen reviews on his site, TripAdvisor or anywhere. A bit surprised at that.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:50 AM
JN
Original Poster

I stand corrected; one person (Marge) on BavariaBen's site did file a positive report on this hotel. She said:
"We loved Hotel Altfränkische Weinstube am Klosterhof. The rooms and hotel had loads of charm. We had flower boxes outside our window with red geraniums, and looking out we could see a hot air balloon rising over the town."
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I had seen that review JN, and I found it strange that on Fodors and Tripadvisor no one else had comments. I think the place looks good, but I am a little hesitant to try it without more comments!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM

We loved Hot. Burg - large rooms - suites actually. Quiet, but close to all.
M
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Is it called "Mario's Altfränkische Weinstube"? If so:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...sp?EntryID=821

I found that review by mispelling "RothenbErg". A search using the correct spelling brings up the Weinstube's beautiful website:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...sp?EntryID=821

I may have to consider this on my trip next year.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
JN
Original Poster

Zeus--thanks for the info.

Wren, here are comments on the hotel's restaurant--also from the person who posted on the hotel at IgoUgo:
"Of all the meals I had in Germany, this was my favorite. Big juicy sausages accompanied by fried potatoes and sauerkraut with a hint of sweetness. Do not miss the big sundaes for dessert, a generous bowl of ice cream covered with all kinds of fresh fruit. Delicious. This is a great place to hang out on a Tuesday night when the locals get together for their English Conversation Club."
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I only ate once at AWS and did not have a great meal. I saw the offering was for Kase Spetzel (cheese spetzel) which I love...but what came to my table was good old American Mac aND CHEESE!

Place is charming however, but I did not see the rooms. I also did not notice any place to park except right in front of the place. I think that it is right near the large (outside wall) park platz so it might just be a short walk to the hotel.

I have to find the map to see where exactly it was located.

Go search out "Bens Baurenhof" on google and you will get all you need to know about Rothenburg.

Have a drink at "Holl" (Hell) and try the Schnitzel at Roter Haus!
John