St. Andrews, Scotland accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good guesthouse in St. Andrews, Scotland? Looking for two nights in May for around 25 - 30 pounds per night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM

Do you specifically need to be IN St Andrews, or would one of the other seaside villages in eastern Fife work?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:51 AM

Darn - hit post too soon.

One reason I ask is that in St Andrews tends to be a bit more pricey -- there are some inexpensive B&Bs but you'd have a lot more to choose from in Crail, Anstruther or somewhere like that.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

janis...I saw your recommendation for Crail a few days ago. Wondering if we would feel too far away from St. Andrews...not enough going on. I do have a room on hold at the one guesthouse you liked...what are your thoughts?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM

Well - don't know what you mean by "enough going on" St Andrews itself isn't a metropolis and doesn't have masses of things going on.

It depends what you are going to be doing while there. Crail is less than 10 miles from St Andrews and it is a quick/direct drive. Anstruther is about the same distance. Both of these villages have cafes, restaurants, shops, pubs and terrific harbors/scenery.

St Andrews is a great place to visit - but often the less expensive B&Bs tend to be more in residential neighborhoods away from the Old Course/water. If the sole reason for going is golf in St Andrews - then I'd look for a place there. But if you want to do some sightseeing as well, the other villages will be as good or better.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janis...We are going for golf but not just in St. Andrews. Crail looks like a nice village on the web so I am inclined to stay there. I just wasn't sure there would be a selection of restaurants and pubs. But if so, I think I will give the caiplie house a try. Would you recommend any favorite restaurants in Crail? How does the Caiplie House do for dinner? Thanks again...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:10 PM

I'd probably e-mail them and ask to be sure. I do know they used to offer evening meal and it was very good. But things sometimes change and they might have stopped - B&Bs and Guest Houses often do dinners on request only. I might add, I've stayed at the Caiplie 4 or 5 times but not with the current owners. But I did stop by there after they took it over to be sure things were still the same standard. They showed me around and I lookd in most of the rooms and they had upgraded the decor and added more ensuite baths (I think all the rooms are ensuite now). If you want homey, a good location, and budget prices you really can't go wrong there.

There are other places to eat in Crail, an excellent seafood restaurant in Anstruther which is only 3 or 4 miles away, and for a REAL splurge you could check out the Peat Inn in, of all places, Peat Inn about 10 miles inland from either Crail or Anstruther.

This would be for a special celebration - but it is world famous and the food/atmosphere is really good. Must book ahead.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

If you're going for golf, take a look at Elie
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Are there any specific places in Elie you would recommend? And if I want to be in St. Andrews, are there any recommendations there? I have been in touch with the Aslar house...any info?
Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:00 AM

Golf View?
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi sheila...just looking for a couple ideas from places others have stayed in before. Most likely a guesthouse around 25 or 30 pounds. Yes...we are mainly looking to golf.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Nah! It's the name of a hotel
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Ummm. Make that the Golf, not the Golf View.

Or try the Ship Inn
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Ha!...okay. I'll look into it...thanks.