Spring trip to Italy

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring trip to Italy

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in April. So far here is our itinerary: Arrive in Milan and pick up a rental car and drive to Genoa - stay one night - then drive to Siena and stay 2 nights. Our next stop is Bologna where we will leave the rental car - for 3 nights - then on to Venice via train - for 2 nights. We leave for home from Venice. Any suggestions on hotels in the $200 range in Venice? Any suggestions on other cities to not miss along the way. Hotel suggestions in Genoa and Siena in the same price range? We could add a day or two onto this trip, if there is someplace we shouldn't miss.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I don't think you will have much of a problem finding good hotels in your price range in April. I am curious about the reasoning behind your itinerary. Why did you select
Genoa - 1 night
Siena - 2 nights
Bologna - 3 nights
Venice - 2 nights

If Genoa is only a stop to break up the trip, why not fly into Florence instead of Milan?

What is attracting you to stay in Bologna for 3 nights?
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:31 AM
ira

Hi Lola,

Is there a reason why you are going to Genoa, and why you are skipping the Cinque Terre?

For what you have planned, I would suggest flying into Rome, overnighting in Orvieto, and then going on to Siena, Bologna and Venice.

Is there a reason why you are staying longer in Bologna than in Venice?

Here are hotels in the $200 range in Venice that have been often recommended:

http://veniceby.com/barbarigo/index.html

http://www.hotelmarconi.it/

http://www.veniceby.com/hotelacalcina/

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Our plans have changed somewhat - We will skip Genoa - Flying into Milan from London (business) then on to Venice for two nights via train - then on to Bologna for 4 nights (friends live there. We will then go on to Siena and that general region for 3 nights or 2 nights in Siena and head north to Lake Como for 2 nights. We have to be in Bologna certain dates so that is why only two nights in Venice. So I now need hotels in Siena and Lake Como that are around $200-$250 per night. I have been checking the rates and most hotels that appeal to me are in the $300 range. I am sure I am missing some good, cheaper places that all of you have experienced. Also, if anyone knows how long it takes to get to Venice from Milan by train, I would appreciate a reply.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM

You can check schedules on raileurope.com or trenitalia.com.

The duration of the trip depends on several factors (type of train, etc.)
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I can recommend one of the Venice hotels mentioned by Ira -- Pensione Accademia (www.pensioneaccademia.it/). It's in the Dorsoduro district. My sister and I stayed there last month and loved it!

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 12:01 PM

I can recommend one of the Venice hotels mentioned by Ira -- Pensione Accademia (www.pensioneaccademia.it). It's in the Dorsoduro district. My sister and I stayed there last month and loved it!

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 12:03 PM

I can recommend one of the Venice hotels mentioned by Ira -- Pensione Accademia (www.pensioneaccademia.it). It's in the Dorsoduro district. My sister and I stayed there last month and loved it! Great location, friendly staff, perfectly adequate if not spectacular breakfast.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Type of train & how many stops determines how long the trip is. But, figure roughly on 3 hours.