Splurge hotels in Ireland

Feb 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Splurge hotels in Ireland

We are looking for recommendations for "splurge" hotels (splurge--but worth the expense!) in Ireland---in the West, Northwest and Dublin area. All ideas welcome! Many thanks
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM

THE MORRISON in Dublin is really nice, cool hotel right across the river from Temple Bar. They also have a great restaurant and spa.

www.morrisonhotel.e
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Sorry typo

www.morrisonhotel.ie

I stayed there last year
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Looks very cool! Thank you!
Feb 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM

TO me, the Merrion Hotel in Dublin is heaven. I have stayed at most of the top hotels there, and the Merrion remains my favourite by far.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/

Northwest - Bushmills Inn - a beautiful place to stay, great food, lovely rooms, public rooms all cosy with open fires.

In the West - Dromoland and Ashford Castles without a doubt. Very expensive though, but worth every penny.

http://www.bushmillsinn.com/

These 2 are off the top of my head, I am due in a meeting soon, but I shall give it some thought and give you more ideas tomorrow!

Angela
Feb 9th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare is undoubtedly one of the nicest. It's often been in the 'top 5' list for Europe from Travel & Leisure. Ask for a room looking out on the falls. They are lit up at night and topped by a 15th century stone bridge, overgrown in ivy and still in use.

St. Cleran's 18 miles south of Galway is a heavenly spot. It was the home of Director John Huston. Merv Griffin bought it some years ago and turned it into a boutique hotel. The blue room on an upstairs back corner is luxurious. You will want to eat dinner there also so as to avoid having to drive after dark.
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Look at the Tauck World Discovery website and see the hotels they used, including Dromoland and Ashford.....ALL the hotels were wonderful, beautiful dining rooms, heavenly food, beautiful areas/grounds....not all were very large hotels, but were chosen for the location and super friendly staff and how welcome and comfy they made us feel.
Feb 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

These are fantastic suggestions---thanks so much!
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Ashford Castle,everything about it is so worth it.The grounds are breathtaking and the food is superb. I had a maddage in the spa that was so good I fell asleep.
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM

The Merrion Square in Dublin - one of the most delightful stays I have ever had.
In the northwest, Glenlo Abbey is a very nice place.
And if you get to the area (and can geta reservation) Ballymaloe House is outstanding.
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM

My boss stayed at Sheen Falls Lodge and raved about the place. Since he was very hard to please, I figured it must be fabulous. Sure looks wonderful!

http://www.sheenfallslodge.ie/welcome.html
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much---great suggestions!
Feb 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Anyone who doesnt love the Sheen Falls Lodge would be hard to please, I wish I could afford it!
Feb 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
mjs

Another vote for Ashford Castle. Did not particularly like Dromoland.
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Have stayed at Dromoland and at Ashford Castle, which I think are almost too much for American/Irish who have "made it" -- not that that is bad, just not for us. On the other hand, Ballymaloe House is a dream come true, where you can get great IRISH food and the entire Allen clan, and the cooking school and the sea nearby, etc. It's my dream come true. Also there are many good places in The Ireland Blue Book, and in The Hidden Ireland, both of which I think, are on the web. We loved Longueville House in Mallow, where they served us a superb meal. The whole Cork area is full of great dining now, not the case 20 or 30 years ago. Enjoy it.