Split or Istria?

Dec 4th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Split or Istria?

Our group includes kids aged 6 and 9, plus 2 teenagers. The kids like sand (they've never been on a pebble beach). Their fathers won't get near a boat because they get seasick. (Don't mention medicines - they won't even try.) I'm looking at the Split area and Istria. Any recommendations? I'm thinking the Split area may be a safer choice, and maybe I can get the wimps to try going to an island.
Dec 4th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Need more details to make any recommendations. When are you going? How long is the trip? Are you just going to one of those places and no where else? How far are you traveling from? What made you think of Croatia in the first place?

Most people, especially those coming from a distance like from North America, or even the UK, don't go to Croatia just to go to the beach. Neither of those places would be my pick if I were looking for a beach destination.
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

We're traveling from the U.S. and the trip will be 10 days. I was in Croatia around 10 years ago (Split, Dubrovnik and Hvar) and loved it - beautiful scenery, great food and nice people. Not to mention that it was a bargain compared to other Summer trips we took to Europe (but that was before Croatia became a popular destination). I have been having second thoughts because the two young ones are not going to want to do a lot of touring and I'm not sure how they will like concrete slabs and pebbles instead of sand. Since it will mostly be a beach vacation I think you're right and will talk to their parents.

What would your recommendation be for a beach vacation in Europe? They have been to San Sebastian and Cadiz. I'm thinking maybe going back to Spain, the Canary Islands, Antibes or a Greek island.
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

P.S. The trip will be 10 days.
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:28 PM
kja

While both Istria and Split have their pros and cons, I have some difficulty imaging that young people would enjoy 10 days in Istria. I think it would be easier for you to find interesting and enjoyable ways to fill their time with 10 days based in Split -- but I could be wrong! Get a Rough Guide to Croatia and have them look at it.

Good luck!
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. You confirmed my thoughts. I did buy 3 copies of Rough Guide a few months ago - one for my son, one for my daughter and one for me. So far, I'm the only one who has read (parts) of it. After getting your post I emailed them and told them to at least read the section on Split.

One problem - I checked VRBO and Airbnb and theren't a lot of houses listed in the area.
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:57 PM
kja

Originally Posted by cef1 View Post
I did buy 3 copies of Rough Guide a few months ago - one for my son, one for my daughter and one for me. So far, I'm the only one who has read (parts) of it. After getting your post I emailed them and told them to at least read the section on Split.

One problem - I checked VRBO and Airbnb and theren't a lot of houses listed in the area.
Good for you! Maybe you could consider some assignments?
Sorry, I don't know anything about the house options in the area.
Dec 4th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cef1 View Post
We're traveling from the U.S. and the trip will be 10 days. I was in Croatia around 10 years ago (Split, Dubrovnik and Hvar) and loved it - beautiful scenery, great food and nice people. Not to mention that it was a bargain compared to other Summer trips we took to Europe (but that was before Croatia became a popular destination). I have been having second thoughts because the two young ones are not going to want to do a lot of touring and I'm not sure how they will like concrete slabs and pebbles instead of sand. Since it will mostly be a beach vacation I think you're right and will talk to their parents.

What would your recommendation be for a beach vacation in Europe? They have been to San Sebastian and Cadiz. I'm thinking maybe going back to Spain, the Canary Islands, Antibes or a Greek island.
I have visited Croatia several times some years ago. Many lovely places, but if you are looking for beach time for kids..Spain might be a better option. Valencia is a beautiful city with great beaches,
Often ignored Santander is a nice town with lovely beaches, Malaga is a real Andalusian town by the sea..etc
etc.I am not familiar with CI or GIs
Dec 5th, 2019, 01:33 PM

With kids those ages, plus some people who don't want to get in boats, and looking primarily for beach time, I'm not sure I'd go all the way to Croatia. Unless at least a majority of your group wants to experience the history, culture, and scenery of the country I'd pick someplace easier to get to. The places in Spain mentioned would work. I was in both Croatia and Spain in 2019 and I don't think Croatia was significantly (or any) cheaper than Spain and flights to Spain are cheaper and faster.
Dec 8th, 2019, 09:01 AM

Croatia has only a few really sandy beaches and most of them are on Islands:
Rab, Unje, Susak, Mali Losinj, Pag, Dugi Otok, Korcula, Lopud.....
If it must be the Adriatic Sea, Italy with it's endless sandy beaches between Grado and Venice, between Ravenna and Senigallia, along the Conero and then more or less up to Apulia might be the better choice.
Dec 12th, 2019, 08:12 AM

I can see being underwhelmed with platform beaches, but smooth pebble beaches are wonderful--all that clear water! No idea about the seasickness situation, but if you think Split won't enthrall them (I agree Istria might not be the best with kids without active participation in the planning, which you are not getting--boo!), maybe the Puglia region of Italy would offer both great beaches and interesting sights. Spain would also be on my list.
In Croatia, I believe the Zadar area might have more sandy beaches, but if you are not going to be doing any boating I would not bother.