Split, Croatia in 4-5 hours?

Nov 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
rcw
Original Poster

Split, Croatia in 4-5 hours?

Seems to be very divided opinions about whether Split is important enough to stay overnight in so I'm hoping for some advice as to whether 4-5 hours is enough to have a walk along the Riva and through Diocletian's Palace? Reason being I'm trying to save an overnight stay on our way from Hvar in early June 2010 - the ferry arrives in Split at 08:45am and there is a bus to Plitvice Lakes at 14:00 which will allow us to visit the lakes early the next morning hopefully a little ahead of the crowds.

So dear Fodorites if you had only a short time in Split what do you consider the "must sees"?
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM

call me shallow-- but, yes, it's enough time if you're in a pinch. we had a similar situation and were glad we made the decision to rush split a little. it is very interesting-- but we didn't feel a lot of disappointment about not being able to spend much more time exploring the town.

it is an easy walk along the water from the ferry docks (well-- maybe 30 minutes) to the main sights. there are lots of places to eat around that area.

i'm sure you know that the ferry schedule from hvar is tricky and that the boats often fill up. stay on top of that.
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM

im really glad OH relented and we spent our last night in croatia in split
we had a yacht so we stayed in the marina for the night-Oh wanted to stay elsewhere but he too was glad that we had the evening walking the promenade
it is really pretty round the harbour and you can watch the big ships leaving
it all lights up
there are so many beautiful people parading their fashions and plenty of cafes to have an albeit terrible coffee lol
nice around the palace and the church and the underground shopping mall
lots of people say split isnt worth it but if you have a few hours go for it
then you wont rely on anyones opinion
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM

I spent about 5 hours in Split one Saturday before a flight. I felt it was sufficient time.

I followed Rick Steve's walking tour, which was actually pretty good. This covers all the main sights, but without going into any museums. You can pick up similar walking tour guides from the Tourist Information office which is in the main central square.

I had time for coffee in Cafe Luxor when I arrived, also time for lunch and a further drink on the Riva. It really is worth going down to the lower levels below the Palace. There is also a busy market just outside the Palace walls, as well as the fascinating fish market.

You'll have time to see Diocletian's Palace, including the lower level, the Cathedral, the Baptistery, wander the streets to the fish market, rub the toe of Bishop Nin for luck and sit on the Riva.

At the very least you'll know whether Split is somewhere you want to return to another time!
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:47 AM

If you were on a cruise ship and Split were the destination for the day, that's about the amount of time you'd have, so yes, do it. We stayed in Split overnight but at a hotel a ways away from the main part of town and actually didn't see the town until morning, then left by ferry in the afternoon. We saw a lot of the town in the time we spent. Enjoyed it. Next time I'd stay in nearby Trogir (supposedly cuter) but I'd still return for another whirl around Split. We liked it. And if it were a stop on a cruise ship I was on, I'd sure get off the boat to see it again. Enjoy.
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
rcw
Original Poster

I do love this forum! Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Happy travels!
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
rcw
Original Poster

Thank you viewfromtheriva for some great tips!
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Last May, we were in Split for the better part of a day. We arrived in the late morning and stayed overnight, leaving the next morning for Korcula. We had lunch along the Riva, looked around the market outside the palace, and toured the palace. I thought that the palace was fascinating. I was intrigued by how the city grew up within the palace walls and how homes and shops were integrated into the palace ruins. I would have liked to have had another day to explore the city, but one can certainly get a good overview of the palace in a few hours.
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM

We did almost exactly what you plan. Arrived at 8:30AM on the catamaran from Korcula and Hvar, stored our bags in the rail station Guardarobe opposite the dock, walked around and through the market and into the Palace. In the Peristile (central courtyard of the palace where the tours leave from), we picked up a private guide (80 kunas each), told him we only had a couple hours, and spent that time with him going around the palace. Then we walked to the Riva, had lunch there, returned to get our bags and pick up a rental car for the next leg in our journey.

All this was in later September this year. Maybe in high season it wouldn't be so easy.

It only took a few minutes -- 5 or 10 -- to walk from the catamaran dock to the palace.

Later we stayed a couple nights in Trogir, which we really enjoyed. Very relaxing.

That was about all we wanted to see of Split. I don't know what we missed. With limited time, you have to prioritize -- unfortunately.
Nov 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
kja

I spent one full day in Split and loved it. I would have enjoyed spending more time there, as I was unable to see everything I wanted to see in that amount of time. But better to spend 4 or 5 hours there than to skip it - so go and enjoy!