Croatia: Suggestions for One Free Day in Split

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My spouse and I have one free day in Split on a Wednesday later this month. We are looking for suggestions on what we can see on a day trip – our first thought is that we would like to visit one of the islands, but we cannot stay overnight; we must depart and return to Split on that same day, which seems to make ferry schedules a bit tricky. However, the ECA seaplane has available round-trip flights to Jelsa (Hvar), Korcula (Lumbarda or Vela Luka), Lastovo, Mali Losinj, Novalja (Pag), and also to non-islands Rijeka (to see Opatija) and Pula. We will already have seen Dubrovnik, Mostar, Kotor, Trogir, Salona, and Plitvice Lakes, so we are looking to see something different than what we saw in those cities. Another option is to just hang out in Split and relax for the day - we don’t need to go somewhere, or to spend money unnecessarily and deal with travel hassles. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 07:46 AM

European Coastal Airlines is not flying right now. They may, or may not be back up next week.

https://www.facebook.com/ECAirlines

I would not take a chance and book with them until they get things sorted.

Are you spending the night in Split? You could take a catamaran over to Hvar Town, walk around for a few hours, then come back in the afternoon to explore Split. But there is plenty to do in Split - visit the market (which is fabulous) and all the area around the palace, have some relaxing time on the riva. But since you do not have any islands on the schedule, it might be nice to see a bit of Hvar. Hopefully you are staying over in Split and have time to do a little of both.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 08:29 AM

staying overnight is a good idea...as poster above says, it's an interesting place for a day or two, a ride out to the airport and the highly-rated town of Trogir is also suggested. Looking for an overnight stay, we loved The Park Hotel on a beach and a short pleasant walk to Central Split...sort of a classic 1920's property with old world elegance.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 06:26 PM
kja

Split is one of my favorite places in Croatia, so I would stay there. That said, my preferences are irrelevant -- you need to decide what YOU want to see and experience. Consulting a good guide book, perhaps at your local library, would seem worthwhile.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 06:59 PM

We went on a terrific day trip from Split to Krka National Park. You might find Krka similar to Plitvice, but the highlight for us was swimming in the falls, which you can't do at Plitvice. Not sure if it works with your schedule but if you can after 3pm it won't be too crowded. We skipped the touristy boat ride and headed straight to the falls. After about two hours there, we had an amazing sea bass dinner in the town of Skradin at Banaca, supposedly where Bill Gates orders take out for his yacht.

If going to Krka later in the day doesn't work, you could eat at Skradin first, then go to Krka. This was all arranged by Mario, a guide recommended by our Split hotel. He was awesome. I just found that I have his contact in my whatsapp: 506 8826 5480. If that doesn't work, he's active on FB and Instagram...I can find you his contact info if necessary. He also organizes boat trips.

As mentioned above, it is also perfectly reasonable to go to Hvar on the regular fast catamaran. Friends of ours did that while they were in Split for work, and easily made it back by evening. If the ferry schedule doesn't work for you, I think you can take a water taxi. If you do go, be sure to eat at Macondo.

And there is enough to do in Split itself. We loved it and would go back. You can tour Diocletian's Palace (a must-see). If you go, be sure to pay extra to visit the basement level - very atmospheric and photogenic, used as location for Game of Thrones. In fact, if you're a GOT fan, you can go on a half-day tour, then get a great pizza or fish meal in town, or walk the promenade.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 08:49 PM

I also like Split and would spend a day in the city.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 01:59 PM

You don't mention if you are staying in Split, but I'm going to assume that you have several nights there and you're just looking for a new Thing To Do on a day after you've seen all of Split's top tourist highlights.

We had 7 nights in Split and on one of the days we took a fast ferry to Hvar Town and a different fast ferry back. Although our time there was only about 4 hours I'm so glad we did it, I found Hvar beautiful and could understand why people spend days there, plus I had not been to any of the islands except Pag. You should get a ticket in advance for these fast ferry's, especially for the return or you may end up waiting to take the slower ferry back. I bought the tickets the day before from the ferry's ticket kiosk and counter in Split.

07:40 - Krilo Star ferry to Hvar Town (ticket kiosk on the pier in Split)
13:00 - Jadrolinija ferry Hvar Town to Split (ticket booth in the ferry terminal in Split.

If you like biking, the Marjan peninsula is a wonderful activity, we loved it so much we did it twice!

If you like museums, the Mestrovik Gallery is wonderful to see this Croatian artists work.

I loved Split, there's lots to see right in Split itself.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 02:15 PM

You can buy tickets for the catamarans on line now!
This is a new development

http://krilo.hr/
https://www1.jadrolinija.hr/