COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Splendid Suisse in Venice

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Fred

Splendid Suisse in Venice

I was able to get a room at this hotel for $100 per night. My question is how difficult is it to get to the hotel by vaporetto with luggage (suitcase,carry on). Would it be easier by water taxi ?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:34 AM
bill

Haven't stayed there, but looking at the map it looks as though you'll be at least a couple of hundred meters from the nearest vaporetto stop. If you are in reasonably good shape and have good wheels on your luggage (or not much luggage) it shouldn't be bad. Also you can often find someone to carry your bags for a price. Water taxi would be easier and it is absolutely the most exhilarating way to enter the city--but it is a good deal more expensive. I recommend the taxi if you can afford it.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:50 AM
elaine

I think that's a great price
I have only seen the lobby of the hotel, not the rooms, but I've read good things about the hotel.

Excellent location, perhaps a 15 minute walk from the San Marco vaporetto stop,
5-10 minutes from the San Zaccaria stop on the other side of the Piazza San Marco.
Yes, with luggage, the water taxi would be much easier and much more expensive.
One side of the hotel is on a little canal, so it would be convenient by taxi.

There's a good moderately-priced restaurant on the same canal called Sempione. We really loved this place and it's a great value. Go after 8:30 when the tourists thin out and it will be a less hectic experience. Really excellent food, friendly service, casual dress, waiters and the menu speak many languages. Décor isn't much, but don't let that put you off when you walk in. About $70 for full meal for two with coffee and house wine; we could have spent less.

If you standd on the Ponte Bareterri (bridge) , Splendid Suisse Hotel is on your right, Sempione will be on your left on the other side of the canal. Takes credit cards, reservations essential. Closed part of the winter.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Grandma

We stayed there several years ago... your price sounds VERy good. Room was smallish, but well appointed. Good buffet breakfast and a very helpful staff. If you can wheel your luggage and get off at the San Marco stop it's a pretty straight route. I don't recall many steps or bridges. Just find your way to Piazza San Marco, go under the clock and the back entrance to the hotel can be found at the end of that streeet. (A major shopping one, whose name I forget.)

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Ann

I was there in Oct. of 2002 had a great room overlooking bridge and canal $135.
Food was good and fair priced for dinner. Took water bus from train station. Had steps but not bad. Water taxi was $50.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Rob

We stayed there in 1999...excellent hotel , great location . We took the vaporetta arriving & had suitcases which rolled...ok from Rialto Bridge to Spelndid Suisse . Upon leaving , We took a water taxi ( clearly more expensive byt neat !)

Enjoy.....Rob