Questions about our short time in Venice

Nov 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Questions about our short time in Venice

We (3 adults and 6 teenagers) have 24 hours in Venice in July 2010. Yes, I kow it is short but this is what I have to work with on this trip. We have never been to Venice and I know that we will be tired when we arrive but we will make the best of it.

Flight arrives at 11am. Take airport shuttle to Piazzale Roma to catch vaporetto #2 down the grand canal until Accademia stop. Pick up quick lunch at Enoteca Cantine del Vino Gia Schiavi near hotel. Sound Good so far? Drop off bags at Hotel American Dinesen and take Traghetto near hotel to San Marco. Visit St Marks' Basilica and the three exhibits inside - treasury, golden altarpiece and san Marco Museum. I believe the basilica closes at 5pm. Afterwards, should we go up to the top of the campanile? It cost 8 euro per person. Is it worth it? Is it enough just to see the clock tower and the campanile from outside? I read that we would have to purchase some type of multi pass if we wanted to go inside the clock tower. We will then have dinner near here and walk back to our hotel. Any suggestions on where to eat?

I believe we will be up early the next moring and will have a quick breakfast at the hotel. We want to see the city before all of the tourist arrive. We will walk toward San Marco to go down Mercerie street. We want to walk over the Rialto Bridge to visit the fresh fruit and Veggie market and the Fish Market. We will pick up food for a picnic and make our way back to our hotel to get our bags to catch the vaporetti to go back to Piazzale Roma to pick up our rental car. Do you think we should try to carry our luggage with us and catch the vaporetti near the Rialto Bridge? My family is packing light but my sister is having a hard time with packing light concept.

I will post the rest of my schedule once I am closer to deciding what we are doing.

thannks
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM

I'll try to answer a few of your concerns . . .

I wouldn't worry about the campanile until I saw the weather that day and how long the waiting line is.

"We will then have dinner near here and walk back to our hotel."
I would skip dinner near San Marco and instead walk back to the area of your hotel (or to almost any other area in Venice) where you will find less-expensive, better-quality options. Use the walk to another part of the city (Cannaregio? San Polo? Campo Santa Margherita? Castello?) as an opportunity to explore Venice on your way to a meal. Similarly, you'll have a chance to explore as you return to your hotel after dinner (or ride the Grand Canal vaporetto at night to return to your hotel).

"Do you think we should try to carry our luggage with us and catch the vaporetti near the Rialto Bridge?"
It doesn't matter if you pack light. You will have to drag your suitcases up and down many bridges, which can be very annoying even with an empty suitcase. I'd follow your plan to visit the Rialto Markets by walking through San Marco and Mercerie. Then I'd walk back to your hotel a different way, via San Polo and Dorsoduro without having to cross the Grand Canal. Then take your luggage on a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Gia schiavi-Great they have most cacchetti which are bite sized pieces with various cheese, fish etc. Just ask for a few plates of that they can also make panini, it will be crowded and sits right next to a small canal. You can sit on the walls as the locals do.

You hotel in just behind the Accademy museum. no need to take a boat to San Marco take the Accademia bridge, faster and cheaper! It leads into the campo santo stefano and then head to the right towards the Piazza San Marco.

Re luggage I am not sure what the other person is talking about if I have the location of your hotel correctly you will cross zero bridges.It is very close to the boat stop for Accademia.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM

In fact I just through of a way to much quicker get to your hotel. Take the number 51 vaporetto from Piazza Roma counterclockwise 2 stops to Zattare. then walk this map has you crossing one bridge but you can see if you walk down the Zattare to the right as you face the land a little ways it is a straight shot to the hotel.

View Larger Map
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM

"Re luggage I am not sure what the other person is talking about. . ."

I was referring to this: The OP suggest that on their departing day they check out of their hotel WITH THEIR LUGGAGE and walk to SAn Marco and then to the Rialto markets. This would involve crossing both the Accademia Bridge and the Rialto Bridge, never mind all the other ones in between, with luggage. I think it would be better to return for the luggage later just before they leave Venice.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM

woops it won't take the map put Zattare vaporetto stop and your hotel in google maps or look at your venice map.

You would be going to the opposite side of the
island and walking esentially north instead of south.
The 1 or 2 will be scenic but it will take 3 times as long.

I am doing this exact thing next September when I go to Venice for the 5th time I'm staying near the Accademia bridge.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM

woops I'm sorry. yes do not carry your luggage around Venice!
If you need to check out your hotel will hold the luggage in the lobby most likely.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I think the OP's ride on the #2 boat is indeed for the touristic aspect since his visit will be so short. His group could also take the Alilaguna from the the airport directly to Zatterre, so I think he's making choices for beauty rather than speed.

Actually, with 3 adults and 9 teenagers, a direct water taxi to the hotel might cost the same as the other options.
Nov 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM

One suggestion, find out when your hotel serves breakfast. Most don't serve early by American standards. They serve about 8 or 9 am. You will want to be out at the fish market long before that! Start much earlier and grab breakfast as you wander.

A shame to have such a short time. Buon viaggio!
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM

> They serve about 8 or 9 am.

9 am? Personally I don't know any that late. 7am is usual although I have seen 8am but less often than 7 at Venice hotels. Hotel American is a well reviewd one, I suppose they serve it rather at 7am but of course as Dayle says it's better to check.
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM

I'm rather familair with that area of Dorsoduro where Hotel American is located so just for the record :

> Gia schiavi

I think Robert means the cicchetti bar Al Bottegon - Cantinone Già Schiavi on the San Trovaso Canal across the church of San Trovaso and the gondola work yard. A nice family run place. They also sell wine, its one wall is full of wine bottles. Oftenn those are young students sitting on the canal wall and on the bridge in front of the bar. There is a university faculty nearby.

> You hotel in just behind the Accademy museum.

Sort of. It's not exactly behind the Accademia though. From behind the Accademia, to the left, a bit of walk. The hotel is next to the Campo San Vio, one of the rare square/park facing the Grand Canal. See a map and you will see. Quite walkable.

> if I have the location of your hotel correctly you will cross zero bridges. It is very close to the boat stop for Accademia.

There is one middle sized bridge you need to cross to get to the side where the hotel is located. One bridge also when coming from Zattere stop. About the same distance from both vaporetto stops.

> Take the number 51 vaporetto from Piazza Roma counterclockwise 2 stops to Zattare.

You can also take 61 and 2. One more stop with 61 or a few more stops with 2 (because 2 goes farther route via Tronchetto and also makes stops on Giudecca island but that's only 10 minutes or less more - when you do have a little more time it's not bad a route view-wise) but you have more options than only 51. Actually when I arrive at Ferrovia by train, I tend to take this route to get to my hotel in Dorsoduro or even for San Marco area. Quick and also the boats on this counteclock wise route on the Giudecca Canal is often empty so it's easier not only timewise but also for your luggage. And I do like that wide Giudecca Canal a bit of change from the Grand Canal. I do this of course because I know I will have other times to do Grand Canal during my stay, that may not be OP's case. When you go through Santa Marta Canal, you can see those huge cruise ships nearby too, that's sort of fun. Speaking of luggage, 51 and 61 are I think the type that has a small deck area and steps to enter the sitting area. 2 (ex-82) has a larger deck with luggage rack, also no steps so a slight preference to No,2 for luggage (although it takes a little bit more time).

Maybe too much details but as I said just for the record.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Kappa,I am not sure what you are correcting yes it the Enoteca Cantine del Vino Gia Schiavi, aka Gia schiavi or al Bottegon. All the same place.

I have heard it most times as simply Gia schiavi.

I recommended the 51 as it is their 2nd stop, then they can go on foot to the hotel and see venice on foot.If they want to take a scenic boat ride down the canal, take the 1 it stops everywhere and takes longer.

After a flight I would prefur to just get to the hotel and drop my stuff change quickly and be off than spend 45 minutes on a nice boat ride. Everyone is different that way I am more awake than my wife usually who is a zombie for 2 days. Her solution would be go to sleep asap. She hardly was awake on arrivval even for our first trip to Venice on our Honeymoon!

If they walk down the Zattare a few meters (right as you face the stop) to the next street, it is a straight shot to the hotel with zero bridges accrording to my map.

Breakfast is a non issue for me in Italy.Certainly nothing worth waiting for, If I wake up late (for me anthing past 6am), I might wait for breakfast.But its quicker, easier and more fun to just stand at a bar like a local.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Re a water taxi, they will not fit 9 people so you would need two.So figure it would cost maybe 175 euro or close to 300 dollars at todays rate.

It may be worth it to you it depends on the consensus and how people are feeling. I prefur the bus to Vaporetto but might consider the Alilaguna to Zattare depending on schedule, timing etc.
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM

<>

You've gotten lots of good advice. My only comment is to be flexible about your sightseeing. There may be very long lines for St Marks and the campanile so be prepared to wait or have an alternate. There are several churches worth visiting (St Zacharia's sp?, for one)so do a bit of research and know the hours; many close around noon for an hour or two.

Twenty four hours is not a lot of time for Venice, but it's better than none.

With such a large group, it would be quite expensive to do a gondola ride, but the 50 cent, or so, ride across the grand canal by the Rialto Bridge is fun.
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM

> I am not sure what you are correcting ...

No I didn't correct you. I simply gave more infos.

> I recommended the 51 as it is their 2nd stop,..

With 61 (only 1 more stops) and 2 (more stops but only 7 minutes more) besides 51, you can have more choices + again I thought I would give more infos to OP (and maybe to you).

> After a flight I would prefur to just get to the hotel and drop my stuff change quickly and be off than spend 45 minutes on a nice boat ride.

I didn't say anything agaist it. Actually I agree. by 45 minutes boat ride I think you mean No1 boat. I didn't wirte about No1 at all.

> If they walk down the Zattare a few meters (right as you face the stop) to the next street, it is a straight shot to the hotel with zero bridges accrording to my map.

Then you are looking at a wrong (or not detailed enough) map or you think the hotel is on the Fondamenta Venier side but it is located on Fondamenta Bragadin. You would have to cross Rio San Vio canal (meaning there is a bridge) to get to the Hotel American side. The hotel is right before Campo San Vio, again as I wrote above. Only one bridge, no big deal. Just to clarify as you wrote twice "zero bridge". There is no harm learning the facts.
Nov 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Re the sign outside the restaurant it says "Cintine del vino gia Schiavi" how does the al Bottegon add anything?

Yes more information which is correct information but essentially worthless. he will be looking for the sign I am sure.
Nov 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Ellenem, you are correct in saying that we chose vaporette#2 for the scenic route as that is the only time we will probably have to go along the Grand Canal which is something many of us want to do. However, a very good point was brought up. Should/can we take the Alilaguna from Zatterre to Piazzale Roma to pick up our rental car? It sounds like it would be faster than going back down the grand canal. I can't find that answer in my travel book. Another great idea just to get up and find breakfast along our way to the fish market. Visiting the markets is another thing that everyone wanted to do. We want to pick up food for a picnic for our ride to Pienza. I assume we will have alot of choices around the markets. What food is included in a typical Italian picnic? This is another experience we want the kids to have. Another question - What is your opinion about Casin dei Nobili on the Giudecca canal for dinner? On tripadvisor - there were mixed reviews but I think it had to do with the 2 locations. I am trying to determine if this was the bad one or the other one. I need to reread all of your comments to make sure I understand.
Thanks again
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM

To reach Piazzale Roma from Dorsoduro (your hotel neighborhood), don't take the Alilaguna from Zatterre--it is a higher-priced boat. Take a vaporetto from Zatterre, the previously mention 51 or 61, for a quicker trip to Piazzale Roma.

You can click on the route map here for clarification:

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversi/index.jsp
Nov 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM

As far as a picnic, almost any coffee bar will have made-that-morning panini and tremezzini (sandwiches) to purchase and take away. They will wrap them for you and you can take them on your drive. With so many people, this may be easier than figuring the logistics of how to serve from communal foodstuffs. And it is also a very Italian thing to do.
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ellenem. I went to the website as you suggested and printed out the map. I think I have a stupid question but I don't understand the map. How can I tell the difference between the Alilaguna and a vaporetto route? If I am reading this correctly, it looks like 51 and 61 are routes for Alilaguna. Can you give me some guidance?

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO