Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

going to Venice in September and have questions re: vaparetti & alilaguna

Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I'll be arriving in Venice by cruise ship in September. I am very confused about how to get to my hotel (Violino d'Oro) . The hotel says their dock is San Moise, by private taxi and by public transport : San Marco.

I see the Alilaugna transports from the pier to San Marco. Is the alilaguna a separate transport system, with a separate fare? Is it a hydorfoil? Is it considered public transport What is the usual fare on this transport?

Is a transport card a separate thing for use just with the Vaparettis? I am told that I can get to the San Marco stop on line one or two of the Vaparetti. Can I get this at the cruise terminal-stop, or would I need to make a connection?
also.....are the entrance fees in Murano and Burano, as well as the major museums so high that buying a Venice card/ w museum add-on worth the cost?

Would like an easy way to transport from our ship to our hotel for our first experience...as we'll have luggage. Once there, we'll figure it all out.

thanks for all the help you can give me.

Nan-C
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM

You have two options. USually the cruise line will offer a shuttle until Piazale Roma, in front of the train station. There you can board the Vaporetto Line 1 to San MArco. Alternatively, you can take the Alilaguna closer to the port and disembark in San Marco. You'll be a quick walk from the hotel (that will be at the left side of the pier close to a canal.) In theory you cannot bring luggage to the Vaporetto and if you do they can refuse or overcharge you. Stick with the Allilaguna. Also, be sure that your luggage have good wheels and can be managed by you. It's a short walk but there will be some stairs to go over the bridges. There are porters on the San Marco stop but they wil charge you a leg.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM

It sounds like there is a private dock adjacent to your hotel. In that case you take a water taxi (private for you and your party) but it will be expensive.

If you take public transit (either vaporetto or alliguna) their closest stop is San Marco. You will have to haul your luggage from there. I don;t know how far your specific hotel is - but there are steps (4 or 5 very broad steps) up and down to get over each canal.

If you have more than a small wheelie and a shoulder bag - or don;t like picking up your luggage - esp if there are several of you - I would spring for the water taxi.

In Venice we always get a hotel with a private dock and take a water taxi from either the airport or Piazzele Roma (if arriving by car). I've long since reached the age where I don;t want to be pack mule woman to save a few dollars.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

I see, now, that there is a direct link between the Maritimo and San Marco...can one buy a ticket at the Maritimo, or does one need to buy one online, ahead of time/ ? what does a ticket (one way) cost?
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ny traveler...!

My hotel, the Violino d'Oro, is only a short distance from the bridge next to the dock at San Marco...
How much is a private water taxi vs taking the alilaguna transportation?

per above,
can one buy a one way ticket for the alilaguna at the maritimo point?

Thanks.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jax 9000...just saw your msg.

I shall most probably take the alilaguna, and I assume that I take the direct 'M' line. Can I buy tickets at the Maritimo site?

Nancy
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Suitcases are permitted on the vaporetti. Your fare includes one suitcase with total size (H + W + L) of 150 cm. About 60 inches in total. You might or might not be charged for larger or additional pieces.
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:30 AM

"are the entrance fees in Murano and Burano, as well as the major museums so high that buying a Venice card/ w museum add-on worth the cost?"

Murano and Burano are islands apart from the main island of Venice and have no entrance fees to visit them. You will need to pay to ride the vaporetto to reach them. There are excursion boats that go to both Murano and Burano which cost more--unnecessary to me. Just take the cheaper vaporetto from Fondamenta Nuove.

Only you can decide if you plan to visit enough places featured on the Venice Card to know if it is worthwhile. Some people may be satisfied with walking the beautiful, atmospheric streets of Venice without visiting a single museum, gallery, or church or riding a single boat. Other want to see an do it all. You decide.