Reload this Page >

Specific Venice/Florence Hotel Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Shawn

Could anyone offer any guidance on these hotels: In Venice--Carlton, Georgioni, Bellini; and in Florence--Adriatico, Fenice Palace, Londra? Any help would be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Shawn

ME AGAIN.............PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THESE HOTELS. C'MON FODORITES!!! THANKS!

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:07 AM
Beth

Hi Shawn, <BR>I stayed at Londra Palace, but in Venice. Is this the one you mean? <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Jane

Shawn, I don't have any personal experience with those hotels (altho there are some postings on this board for the GIORGIONE in Venice). I don't know if you have access to a special deal with these particular hotels, but if you are just looking for a good hotel in a certain price range, you'd be better off doing a search on this forum under hotels in those cities. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Steve

We stayed at the Londra in Florence in October. Location is OK, near the train station - a long (but do-able) walk to the center of night life, attractions, etc. Facilities are good. Staff not as helpful or courteous as they should be.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Paulo

Among the hotels you list, Shawn, I only know the Giorgione. This is a 4-star near Cá d'Oro and which has the lowest rates among all 4-stars in Venice. The standard doubles are on the small side (as are most of Venetian hotel rooms) and some matrimonial beds may be actually 2 twins tied together. In my opinion it's a good value ... <BR>For some more details look at <BR>http://www.hotelgiorgione.it/venice.htm <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Jim

Shawn, <BR>We stayed at the hotel Giorgione last year. The room was rather large with nice furniture. They serve an excellent buffet breafast. Great price for a 4 star in Venice. I think we got a 10% discount using their webpage.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Byrd

Hi Shawn: We have stayed in both the Bellini in Venice and the Londra in Florence. We really liked the Bellini. It is nicely decorated (very Venetian-looking, with Murano chandeliers, etc.) and the staff was very helpful. The breakfast was very good, too. The location is right next to the train station, which delighted my husband, but that is not exactly in the midst of things. However, in Venice, getting there is half the fun, and the vaporetto rides to San Marco were fine. The next time we went to Venice, we stayed (for a lot more lira) at the Ateneo very close to San Marco. All in all, I think we'd rather go back to the Bellini! When we stayed at the Londra in Florence (fall 1997), it was being renovated. It was also near the train station, but the walks were not bad, as I remember. I also remember that we had a nice room with a pretty balcony complete with blooming geraniums, but it was too noisy to sit out there. Actually, we found all of florence too noisy, so last year we stayed in Siena. <BR> <BR>Byrd Rish

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 11:32 AM
howard

We stayed at both the Londra in Florence and the Bellini in Venice. Both are fine properties. <BR>However, as started above, the staff at the Londra was okay, but not that warm and friendly....more businesslike, which makes sense since a lot of the guests when we were there were businessmen and women. We were able to walk everywhere in Florence from there (about two blocks from the train station), with a decent choice of restaurants in the evening. <BR>The Bellini in Venice was excellent. Located right near the train station and right at the Ponte degli Scalzi, one of only three bridges crossing the Grand Canal. Though away from San Marco, we walked there every day from the hotel and had the joy of getting lost coming back every day, and it was indeed a joy! Rumor has it that bellini drink was invented there! Our room was beautiful. <BR>Continental breakfasts at both were very good!

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 12:18 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Shawn <BR>Stayed at the Carton Excutive, S.Simeone, 578, it is a four star <BR>hotel with 126 rooms. It is located <BR>on the Grand Canal directly across the <BR>S. Lucia RR Station, Vaporetto stops <BR>are on the same side as the station. <BR>I stayed at the Carlton many, many <BR>years ago when it was making the change <BR>from the Germania, in the 70's. It is <BR>about a 10 or 15 mins walk thru Santa <BR>Croce to the Rialto Bridge and another <BR>10 mins to the Pza S. Marco, you have <BR>very good access to most all of Venice <BR>via vaporetto, by walking thru the Santa <BR>Croce, or by crossing the Ponte degli <BR>Scalzi and to the left on the Rio Terra <BR>and the Lista de Spagna another route to <BR>the Ponte Rialto. Watch the signs you <BR>can never get lost in Venice. The RR <BR>station is shown at the "ferrovia".. <BR>Can not help you with the other cities <BR>as have not stayed at those hotels. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL&gt

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 01:12 PM
howard

But, Richard, you're supposed to get lost in Venice! That's part of the enjoyment of this wonderful city! (We finally did learn the secret of the following the ferrovia signs, but not until some wonderful experiences wandering the narrow streets and crossing the small bridges!)

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Shawn

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! REALLY APPRECIATE THIS HELP! FEEL FREE TO KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING............

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 01:41 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Howard <BR>Yes, you are correct, I had forgetten <BR>the early days before we got too smart <BR>as not to get lost. Thanks for reminding me. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 03:04 PM
howard

And, good evening to you, Richard. As for getting lost in Venice, I hope I never get smart enough to never get lost there!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 10:26 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Howard <BR>Yes, I have to agree with you 100 %, it <BR>is a place you can not get out of your <BR>system. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Ray

Last October I stayed for 3 days at the Hotel Casci in Florence. Rooms were adequate, service excellent,fluent english spoken by this family run hotel, within close walking distance of all the major attractions, good breakfast. Close to Train Station, and paid parking available close by. You can't go wrong here. When I return to Florence, I will definitely stay there again. Their web site is: www.hotelcasci.com. E-mail: [email protected]

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 01:51 PM
M & J

Hi Shawn: We stayed at the Bellini in Venice perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. It was within walking distance to the train station and next to a bridge. However, we had a visitor. <BR>On the morning of our departure, my wife's silk undies were gone !!!! <BR>We looked everywhere. <BR>We had kept the window open that evening as the room was hot. <BR>I keep telling her that the undies where taken by the Bellini ghost. <BR>She suggests they were taken by the Bellini rat. <BR>Besides that, it was delightful hotel. <BR>