Special Dinner in Rome

Aug 10th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Special Dinner in Rome

My husband and I will be in Rome for about 5 days in August-September. We are trying to dine on a budget, so most meals we'll be ducking into trattorias, pizzerias and such. But we would like to have one special dinner where we splurge and go somewhere really nice, classic Italian food, etc. We'd like to spend no more than 50 euros per person. We are staying at the Westin (Via Veneto), so I'd prefer it to be close to there if possible. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM

we also stayed at the westin and had a fairly nice dinner at the eden hotel(?) - just down the street from the westin and the restaurant was rooftop with views of the city...except it was foggy and raining! We truly enjoyed two dinners at Mario's near the forum as well...little place, excellent food and welcoming atmosphere. Its very rare for DH to suggest going back to the same place during a trip and he really like this place. On our second dinner there, we were greeted like old friends and the owner/host 'made-a for us a special dinner' - not on the menu and to die for!! then, he joined us for a glass of grappa afterwards. He also treated our two teenaged sons like adults and asked them what they liked, etc. I was very impressed.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Our most special dinner in Rome was at a wonderful place called Pierluigi in Piazza Ricci, near Campo d'Fiori. We had a truly memorable dining experience there.
We had another spectacular dining experience at Casa Valadier, in the Pincio area of the Villa Borghese. We had lunch overlooking the city, and it was absolutely delicious!

We also stayed at the Excelsior on Via Veneto, and the concierge pointed us toward a place a few blocks away called Pomodorino (or something like that). It was huge and seemed very touristy, but we had great food, a lot of it, and it was very inexpensive!

have a great time!

dina
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Aug 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM

We were in Rome about a month ago and had two fabulous dinners at Pierluigi. We just told the waiter what we felt like eating and he did the rest. Each course was amazing. We never looked at a menu, no need with the wonderful care they take with all of their diners. There were many locals eating at the restaurant both times and that tells me something! Don't miss this great Roman expierence. If you can't make it for dinner, that are also open for lunch....
Aug 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM

dorie -- we had the same experience!! There were 6 of us, and my husband told the waiter to just "take care of us". It was a feast like we've never experienced... (ever see the movie "Big Night"?) the food just kept coming and coming. And
So delicious -- i can't wait to back!