Spas - Fiuggi vs. Viterbo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive Rome in September '08 to rent car and base ourselves in either Viterbo or Fiuggi. We were at Terme di Papi in '02 and enjoyed the experience. Beyond a spa experience, is Fiuggi distinct from Viterbo as a destination regarding restaurants, charm and side trips?
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM

never been to Viterbo...but I found Fiuggi severly lacking in restaurant choices...was only there a night though and didn't do anything "spa-like" didn't find it particularly charming either really...don't know about side-trips becasue we headed to the airport the next afternoon. the hotel, Palazzo della Fonte, was ok...nice, upgraded room...but a little in need of repair - i.e. cracked pool tiles, needed a coat of pain...minor things - staff was lovely though.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I haven't been to Fiugi. I really liked Viterbo as a place to visit, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to stay there overnight. That trip (last summer) I was based about half an hour's drive from Viterbo at Bolsena, a chamring little lake resort. There were a number of restaurants, and it's a good base for places like Viterbo, Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio, and generally southern Umbria and northern Lazio.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM

Oh, forget Fiuggi !
It is a spa good enough only for old people who really needs to drink that water and stop.
If you want to choose a spa experience different from Viterbo, quite better Castellammare di Stabia, the gate of Penisola Sorrentina: good spa, very good restaurants and charming hotel in its surrounding area.
And, anyway, if your must is Viterbo or Fiuggi, I suggest you Viterbo again.

Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM

Guidebook writer tip:
Try the "wild spas" in the Viterbo area as well as the official ones. Photos on www.elegantetruria.com Lifestyle section.